Two months on Nalmefene/Selincro and no improvement

Posted , 6 users are following.

I posted on this site 2 months ago to describe my early experience with Namefene / Selincro. I'd read up a lot on the Sinclair method and was really hopeful that it would help, given all the evidence out there.

Now, two months on I'm getting worried that it's not working for me. I have religiously taken the tablet one to two hours before drinking and have not taken any medication on non-drinking days (not that there has been many of those) as per the golden rule. 

But the frequency or amount I drink hasn't decreased at all. My drinking actually seems to have increased since taking Nalmefene... strangely the desire is just as strong even though I do gain less pleasure from alcohol when on the meds.

I suppose one factor is, prior to starting Nalmefene, I was probably working harder using willpower alone. Now following the Sinclair method, I am not applying as much willpower, on the basis of letting the medication do the work and create a long term, sustainable situation, rather than using brute will and then rebounding. If I have to use as much  will as before starting the use of the medication to control my drinking, then it seems like the medication isn't doing much for me. I didn't expect to be in a position to take or leave alchol at this point, but I did think I'd be somewhere down that extinction curve.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has been using Nalmefene or Naltrexone for 2 months plus and not getting any results at that stage? Or if anyone knows whether this is common? I desperately hope I'm not in that 10% it doesn't work for. 

Thanks

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kipling, don't despair. I felt that it wasn't working for me. I noticed a slight reduction on the amount I was drinking on a 'drinking night' ( from 1.5 bottles of wine to just under a bottle) with no reduction in the frequency! Some nights I was still drinking a bottle and would feel so low as I so wanted this to work and become a 'normal' drinker ( whatever that is). Anyway , something changed last week 12 weeks after starting selincro. Each night I had a drink I genuinely didn't feel like anymore after 2 glasses, on one or two nights about a glass and a half. Infact, I was making myself a decaf coffee to end the evening. Unheard of! I don't drink on Mondays and Tuesday's and am always ready for a drink by Wednesday. I'll have to see how I feel on Wednesday. However, I really feel hopeful that I have reached a stage where I can stop after a couple of drinks but as I say it has taken me 3 months! Hang in there and don't give up. Warm wishes from me 😀

• Posted

Hi Kathryn

Thanks for the encouragement, it really helps! I'll definitely keep at it. It's really good to hear it's gradually working for you! That's brilliant. 

Wishing you all the best :-)

• Posted

Hi Kipling,

i agree with kathryn43, give it time, it works! But don't expect it to work without 'some' willpower!! It's not a wonder drug in that sense.

i have been taking selincro since 24/4/15, I take it daily, I can't trust myself not to have a drink, even if I don't on the day.

over the past two and a half months my consumption has gone steadily down. I am sitting here with a glass of wine that I could easily not have, but old habits die hard...

i have now reached the point where I could stop completely, but I don't want to, now that's a different story...

• Posted

Hi michael

Great to hear its working for you... it's really encouraging. I think your're right, Nalmefene and willpower together is the way to go. I suspect that will speed things up for me. Thanks for the advice.

All the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.