Two Options - Arthroscopy or Hip Replacement and Who?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have a dilemma.I've had ongoing hip problems for 2 years now.

I had hip arthroscopy 12 months ago, plus several joint injections since. Things are still not great and so have been offered 'another arthroscopy' to address 'SOME' of the problems but not all

I've just got a 2nd opionion and an experienced hip surgeon in my local area said straight away that I need a 'hip replacement'. This was a NHS surgeon so I feel nothing to gain, but it seemed a rather quick decision but it is documented that I have articular cartilage missing on femoral head.

I just feel that I'd like another 'well qualified' person to look at my situation and advise me which way to go. 

My arthroscopy surgeon said my joint is in reasonable condition and it would be a shame to do hip replacement right now, and the second said, it is the only solution and the sooner the better before things get worse. 

Any suggestions/thoughts? I could get another surgeon to take a look, but feel awkward asking for an opinion of which way and who to go to - if they are not going to do the operation!

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My rheumo wanted to organise a hip injection for me, she could see I was getting worse, with movement, on a granny walker to be able to move at all.

I asked her how the injection worked, she said they inject into the cartlege in and around you hip joint, my x-ray was up on the light window, so I pointed and said what cartledge, show me where you can see cartledge on that x-ray, she just went hummmhhh, and started talking about something else, I'm rather annoyed with her with hind site as i felt her letter to the ortho surgeon could have speeded up my treatment a hip replacement.

When I finally did see the ortheo surgeron his comment was i should have seen you 5 years ago before you got this far, he then tried to get me admitted straight away as an emergency patient, hip joint effectively broken, no wonder I was in sooo much pain, I believe he was shocked that I had been left so long and in so much pain for as long as I had, he was not impressed with refferal letter from GP, basically said patient has OA, no, comment about how severe, he went on to tell me to fire my GP, which I have done so.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.