TWO Spinal Cord Stimulators

Posted , 1 user is following.

Has anybody had two spinal cord stimulators - at the same time?

Ive been booked in for the 2nd device to be implanted (no trial) at the end of next month, and its safe to say that I am nervous! The thought of being woken up again mid surgery turns my stomach.

The first device was fitted in Feb 2022, this is for the pain I get in my lower back and sciatica down my legs. For the most part it is effective and helpful!

Now two years on and my doctor wants to go through with another device being fitted for the pain I experience in my neck, upper back and tingling in my left arm.

I cant find any suggestion that two devices in the same body has been done before.

Ive experienced back pain for 16/17 years, I live off NHS medications and this next operation will be my 7th spinal surgery.

Im also worried that this device will mask the pain so well (which will of course be a wonderful relief) that the problem with my neck will worsen, and given that my Mum is a tetraplegic, Im terrified that I too could end up in a chair one day.

I suppose my point is - will two devices work, is it safe and is it worth it?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.