Two steps forward one step back grrrrr

Posted , 6 users are following.

Pretty sure I over did it cause the pain and swelling have arrived. It is extremely painful to put weight on my foot now. Hanging it down ven hurts. I was trying to take care of several things I'd been able to do and ended up walking mire than I planned. Pain is there when I have my foot up but nothing like putting weight on it. The PT lady spent most of the time working on the swelling today. So a bit of bump in the road. Back to ice and elevation.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

In zip lock bags one cup rubbing alcohol and two of water. Freeze them. That remedy has been my Savior. Wrap a big towel and elevate. I had a total reconstruction ankle and it has been painful. Nothing helped for the strange sensations, such as pins and needles except ice.

However, tomorrow I will try a new pill called gabapentin. It was originally developed for veterinarians. Will start in a very low dose. It is a good cautious step. I'm terrified of medications, doctors, etc. Would prefer to be reading or writing a book!

• Posted

Hi Monika. I wanted to comment on the Gapapentin. After my nasty pilon fracture in April (2 operations, plate and 6 screws), even though my bone healing was going well constant, weird pain continued, in my Ortho practice, the had me talk to the nerve guy explained that they move the nerves and tendons out of the way during surgery. None were torn or anything, but it takes a while to get back to firing right and the constant firing of the nerves were causing pain. The Gapapentin is used to calm them down and I had quick results. The only thing be cautious about is that you have to ween off of them gradually. This med is also used for seizures and stopping cold could cause them. This I know because him also treated for seizures and take another Mrs for that as well. Good luck to everyone and quick healing
    • Posted

I was on Gabapentine for some years. Each time I couldn't cope with the pain I was given more Gabapentine. I put a lot of weight on and I still had the pain so I asked to come it. As a result of the dose I was on its going to take 26 weeks altogether.

• Posted

Oh no. Hopefully it will be back to feeling better in a day or two. I am afraid of overdoing it too.Yesterday I was close to it. But it is just mildly sore so it might be okay. It seems very tricky to know when to push, and slow down. Let is know how it progresses.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.