two straightforward queries pre op please?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi   Im still pre op  and  now told  my wear is SOOOO   slight that it doesnt equal in anyway the pain I experience  -   about this pain please??..........Did  any of you  NOT have pain all the time?  as I dont.  The pain starts after a while of moving around,  and as said before, the pain is mostly down the fron thigh and groin?

iT would make sense that the pain is there all the time if the bones are rubbing?   I just dont understand why some days it is far better that other days.  Is this how it was for you please?

When I experience a  bad flare up,   the other question is this.    I presume it is  OA  flaring up,   does this still happen post op?  meaning are you stiff?  but  also  are you stiff but WITHOUT pain?

can anyone help a weary soul   smile        just need to know facts before I push and push for an op   as what could be worse than to get a new hip and still experience the pain

I am still on fence in other words,   if I go to a private consultation   (but NHS  operation )  will I get a clearer picture,  also it may be the same NHS guy!

pauline  x

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The amount of pain you experience doesn't always equal what the doctors say you should be experiencing given the amount of "wear" you have.  Everyone is different.  My wear was just awful (bone on bone) but was in very little pain most of the time.  My range of motion was lousy and if I tried to force my leg past a certain point, "Ow!!!!!"  Otherwise I wasn't in pain.  I wasn't able to walk normally either, though, but I was able to walk without pain most of the time.  I decided to go ahead with the surgery because a) It wasn't ever going to get better on its own and b) I'm not getting any younger (I'm 65).  Most of the people I've talked to who have had THR say they are glad they did it and have few to no complications.  That is the majority.  But, as you may have gathered from this forum, the recovery period isn't a picnic.  But for years of pain-free movement, I think it's probably worth it.  I'm 7 weeks today and walking without a cane some of the time.  
  • Posted

OH   RANGE OF MOVEMENT!   i didnt have range even when a little girl lol   i always noticed that the others sat crossed legs with knees wide and felt quite envious!!   haha     also having  knock knees and pigeon toe in this leg I actually feel iv been quite lucky to have not had problems!  my grandson has this too incidently

thanks for comments,  you are  right Denise and it is so helpful hearing others poiints of views,  im on the fence again   just in case  i can fix it with pilates,  the MRI  says NO bone to bone but the consultant  thinks it does show this...........??

if there really is no b one to bone  you will understand my concern   and also  the MRI was a portable machine and warned it may not be as accurate . . . .but I was pressured to go to that hospital as GP said they were under contract

Does a private consultant  do an MRI  do you know?  

xx

• Posted

I can't remember if you said your age pauline. Thing is is I was in similar predicament as at 55 I worried new hip probably need replacing 15 years and I wasn't as bad as some others on here and a cousin of mine (now 60) has done loads excercises to keep hers at bay but my thoughts were either way 55 or 61 still need replacing in 15 years so ho for it now get on with life

Denise

• Posted

thanks Denise

yes  whats the point of compromising life   I was 62  the other day and have had pain 4 yrs      its the  sketchy diagnosis that has held me back this is why i ask about  private consultation  -     had one consultant who said he estimates i need new hip in 8 yrs,  i went for second opinion   because of the pain and  he said  he disagreed with MRI

i want to scream      xx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.