Two thing / contrast die & iodine in shellfish

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I’m doing well on 4th week of meds for hyperthyroid &( Graves’ disease) my strength coming back / less diareaha  and no more weight loss

But two things concern me : immediately upon diagnoses my Endocronologist said this was triggered by contrast die in my most recent surgery  ? How do I avoid further problems in an upcoming surgery where they may need to use that again? 

Also even though doc never said to avoid shrimp crab Ect because the iodine I have been .... I ate it today let’s see , I’m hoping the antithyroid meds block this iodine

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi jack41577, there is no need to avoid Iodine (unless directed by your physicians e.g. before an Iodine uptake scan).  In fact, long-term Iodine deficiency is one of the main causes of thyroid disorders like thyroid enlargement and multi-nodular thyroid goitre. 

In your situation, it is best to get just enough Iodine (approx. 150 micrograms per day). An excessive intake of Iodine (for example by taking Iodine supplements or consuming substantial amounts of seaweed) should be avoided. For more information see the Iodine fact sheet below. 

Regarding contrast dye, your doctors might be able to find suitable alternatives e.g. a contrast medium based on Gadolinium. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.