Two weeks after anterior/posterior vaginal prolapse surgery, scared bladder has prolapsed?

Posted , 6 users are following.

If anyone can help with this question, it would be greatly appreciated.  I had surgery two and a half weeks ago.  I had a robotic hysterectomy and vaginal prolapse repair.  My initial follow up visit seemed like everything was fine, but I have struggled with terrible constipation since the surgery.  I am off pain meds, only taking Tylenol and am taking Colace twice a day, but initially straining was the only way I could have a BM  (sorry).  While showering and just trying to clean the area, I noticed a small something in my vagina, just above the entrance and am concerned it is my bladder prolapsing. I no longer have a uterus so it isn't that.   I am not in any pain and have not had any bleeding.  The surgery and recovery has just been so painful, that the thought of having the repair fail in some way is keeping me up at night!  I know it is early on but I am hoping this is not another prolapse.  Wondering if the surgery can fail so soon or because of my straining I may have caused some damage?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi lyn,

Try not to worry its early days yet it takes a few months to properly heal and you will be swollen for 2-3 months until stitches heal. Deeper tissues may take even longer.

The painkillers don't help with constipation; have you tried a squatty potty to enable ease of bowel evacuation.

Take care and don't be overdoing things thus is major surgery and needs plenty rest.

If you go to the home page of genitourinary forum and scroll down to usefull resources, then to south tees you will find some great after surgery advice.

They usually judge if repair has been successful once successful intercourse has resumed.

Good luck and be very careful.

Phyl x

• Posted

HI love get movicol that’s will make your poo soft and if that didn’t work take senna please do not push as they say that can be bad for you.

I had an A&P April 2015 bloody awful didn’t think I was going to get right I had different feelings  daily but time heals and we all heal at difrent rates on my week 2 and three I had a hard lump at the back but it is the swelling and everything felt low but as the weeks went but I started to heal listen to your body love and if you feel a bit heavy below rest

No lifting 

No

Pushing to poo

And a lot of rest and you will get there chic take care it’s not easy 

Gill xx

• Posted

Lyn I had just over a cup of prue juice and the clear liquid medication for to made the stool soft every day. Dont strain. LIGHT foods Vegetables

I didnt eat meat just weetbix fruit eggs. I had a more complicated surgery with the back reocel repair there is a small knot there. Remember you still might not be healed yet. If you strin it will undo the work

• Posted

Hi, I think many of us have experienced constipation in the first few days following surgery and equally many have also been concerned that this and or any bulges they think they see, discomfort etc may mean the prolapse has returned so you are not alone in fearing this. Lots of us have been there. I am not medically qualified at all, but I am now 8 weeks post op and thought that my prolapses had returned in the first few weeks and can see some lumps. However, what I can see is actually the scar tissue and normal walls of the vaginal canal...... A lot of other women often can see lumpy bits where the tissues have been cut and stitched together, and this and the swelling is all part of the healing process which can take a long time. My lady bits are still healing at 8 weeks and I need to have another check up at 12 weeks. I hope you are reassured, but of course do get in touch with your doctor if you are concerned rather than wait until your next check up if that is some weeks away. Do take it easy and try some of the suggestions for softening the poo. Good luck.
  • Posted

Thank you ladies, so much for the information and encouragement.  I will take it slow and easy, take the softeners and ask the doctor when I see him.  This site is so helpful when you feel alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.