Two weeks after REZUM treatment

Posted , 13 users are following.

Today 7/14/17 is my two weeks after the REZUM, 59 yrs old and always eat healthy diet and jogging 4 miles a day for almost 20 years; however, still have the following:

1. Before treatment and I have Proscar + Flomax everyday, can do each trip 120cc and now only 35cc

2. Still has blood and urine dripping about 20cc everyday on mymaxi pad

3. don't know when can I back to before

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Obviously you should ask your doctor first - but it seems with most surgeries it takes a few weeks to get back - think about it, your prostate was cut, now it's swollen inside probably, so until the swelling goes down it's going to be worse. You can try some anti - inflammatory pain killers it might help - Aleve Gels were recommended to me. 59, healthy and you don't worry you'll be OK - Proscar a bad drug though you probably don't need it now.

• Posted

Thank you Mike, I don't have any pain at all, all I have is the peeing issue and how long it takes for you to recover after treatment, I assumed you have done the same

• Posted

I did two different procedures, not Rezum - the Aleve is for the swelling, not pain. Everyone heals differently. You might want to consider self catheterization for the next week to give relief your bladder and sleep better. Like once when you go to bed, once in the morning and once mid day - you need to be taught how to do it by a Urologist nurse.
    • Posted

Thank you Mike, and would you mind to let me know what kind of treatment do you have and how long it takes to recever? Because, if REZUM not working right, I will have to choose another treatment.
    • Posted

Hey it's too early to think about something else! I'm sure you're going to be OK provided they know what they were doing. How many procedures had your Urologist done before yourself?

I had PAE, didn't work - the surgeons convinced me it was worth a second shot at it, that also didn't work. I thought I was OK then suddently I was so blocked up my kidneys were affected, then I couldn't pee at all. I did FLA a new procedure, you can search discussions for FLA (and PAE) - I am happy with results, not perfect but I was in a very bad way before so my bladder was affected. I had a permanent catheter for many weeks after my surgery. Things were getting much better the last few weeks until I got a UTI recently, so I am back to self catheter for the next week or so. I'm 5 months post surgery, from what I can gather most procedures take 6-8 weeks before you start feeling better than before. You are only 2 weeks, some guys feel great after 2 weeks too, it's a mystery. Probably if the surgeon was more agressive removing more tissue you'd feel better faster, or maybe it's just the opposite I don't have a clue.

• Posted

Thank you Mike,

My Dr. said he had 25 paitent before me; however, he didn't tell me exactly what to expect after the treatment, so maybe he didn't do that much before me, but that procedure on me was smooth and quick, just don't know how long it might takes, thanks for sharing anyway

• Posted

Mike

Since you've done multiple procedure you might be able to answer this, but are there any procedures, other than prostatectomy, that make it impossible to switch to a follow up procedure if the first failed?

Also, if you have PAE done by an IR and still have BPH symptoms would you continue to be under the care of a Uro?

I wonder if you go with PAE or FLA would a Uro no longer want to see you.

Rezum is performed by Uros, correct?

I am not sure how to broach the topic of alternative treatments with my Uro.

Thanks

Michael

• Posted

The only doubt is whether Urolift might pose a problem to other procedures because of the staples or whatever they are - not an expert.

Yes Rezum done by Urologists.

Yes if I did PAE I would still go back to Urologist.

Just tell him you are looking for something "less invasive", and if he says "you're on your own" find another Urologist who will support any decision upon which you decide.

• Posted

Having a Urolift (or a Rezum) should not preclude you from having a procedure in the future, should you require one.
    • Posted

I agree I was just thinking about FLA when I wrote that comment - someone here wrote that it was an issue if I am not mistaken, I don't know first hand. And there might be some other new procedures so I thought I'd throw that out there.

• Posted

Mike,

My prostate enlargement is in the transition zone.  My prostate is too big for TURP and my Uro has told me to put off a partial prostatectomy unless the symptoms affect quality of life too much.  I truly thank God that even with a large prostate I can still urinate pretty well (with Flomax). Most nights I only wake up once, sometimes twice, rarely more.

It seems like Rezum might be a good option for BPH in the transition zone.

If this was already asked, I apologize, but is Rezum done under local or are you asleep?  I think you're awake for PAE.

Also, since there is swelling afterward, is it normal to require a catheter after Rezum?

thanks

Michael

• Edited

Hi, Morris. I'm almost 62 and like to think I'm in pretty good shape, too, although 4 miles jogging would be a year for me, not a day. (5'8", 145 lbs if that helps you compare.)

My prostate was 54cm3 and I had experienced BPH symptoms for over 10 years. I briefly tried Flowmax and Rapaflo several years ago, but quit since they didn't help me much and I didn't like the side effects.

A bladder stone removed in February forced my hand and I had to do something. I had the Rezum procedure 7 weeks ago today: 3 injections left, 3 injections right, and 1 injection in cental lobe. My uriniation stream (if you can call it that, it was pretty poor) got back to pre-Rezum levels in about two weeks. For the first three weeks, I had frequency (sometimes every hour) and urgency issues. These issues gradually got better, although there were regression days.

I did not experience any dripping of blood or urine, but I did have some light discharges over night into my underwear during the first 3 weeks. Nowhere near 20cc, though.

In my one month follow-up appointment, my IPSS score was 13; it was 23 before Rezum.

Volume and time between urination started to noticably improve at about 3.5 weeks. Today, my seventh week anniversary, I noticed a marked improvement in volume. It's the best I can remember. So hang on for a month or so. I bet you'll see a big improvement.

Bill

• Posted

Thank you William,

You are the first one who share his experience with me, thank you and I feel mush better now, before I always thought I will get better after 2 weeks, now I will wait for more weeks, thank you

• Edited

Bill, how is your sex life? Do you have retro ejaculation? I am considering Rezum or urolift. I have read about more RE problems with Rezum than they admit. Also problems with fluid presenting 30 seconds after orgasm which I am sure they don't count as RE. Not real satisfing!

Urolift seems a little more tramatic but have not read of any RE or other related sex problems. Just switched from afluzosin to flowmax and have a better flow but have full on RE and nasel conjestion. Want to get off meds and avoid perminent RE. Still have a great sex life and want to get back to the full experience.

• Edited

Tom, I waited 3 weeks before having sex. I was told to wait at least 3 days, but wasn't even interested in tryng until day 10. I would have waited even longer to let the prostate heal more, but wanted to at least attempt sex before my one month follow-up appointment.

I rate the first time as 25% pre-Rezum enjoyment. The ejaculate was brownish as it was mixed with blood (as I understand from other posters). The second time was also 25% orgasm strength; the third time jumped up to 70%; the fourth was even better, but not 100%. Ejaculate was still brownish, but clearing. Ejaculate volume was somewhat less than pre-Rezum. This was at the end of week 4.

The next time came in at 90%+, but the sixth time (day 33) there was no orgasm at all, retro or otherwise. My erection stayed strong, but I never had the sense of getting close to orgasm so we just gave up (for me at least). I can't remember this happening ever before.

Times seven, eight, and nine were: 75%, 90%, and 100%. The last two times included good afterglow, which was largely absent in previous encounters. Ejaculate was clear the last two times, but probably still a little less in volume than pre-Rezum.

The sex life is headed in the right direction. Since this is Saturday night, If I take a quick shower, I may have an update for you tomorrow.

• Posted

William;

glad to hear you are having great results.

I always tell my patients that maximum results around usually somewhere between 3-6 months, so you probably still have a lot of improvement to go!

• Edited

William, How long did it take you to get 100%? I have ejaculated 2 times since rezum which was a month ago and very little ejaculate came out. I'm a bit concerned since I feel the best part of the orgasm is the ejaculation, it gives me both an physical and emotional release. Do I need to be more patient and give it the 2 months to get back to normal, By the way I just came off Flomax a week and a half ago, could this be some redisual from that? I want to takl to my male dr. and not his female nurse about these concerns but I'm not sure if I can talk to him without setting up another appointment. Any help from the forum would be greatly appreciated. Thanks is advance,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.