Two weeks along the line, numbness and foot spasams

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi i just wondered if anyone as close to having the operation as me, either has or has had spasamsHi all across the top of their foot. I have a numb big to which I have already mentioned but my whole fool seems to go I to uncomfortable spasam across the top and down inside of my foot. It also feels like the rest of my toes go numb but they are not. 😞

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had extensive surgery 6 weeks ago and I'm still in a non-walking cast. No spasms across the top of my foot but yes, the toe thing is happening along with a bunch of other strange things. The spasms may be common since there are so many bones in the foot along with lots of nerves. Talk to your doctor. They may be able to give you a muscle relaxer.
  • Posted

I'm two weeks post op tomorrow and as I type my foot is keep getting these spasm type feelings and although I'm able to move toes my big toe moves but is still quite numb and my other toes keep getting that cramp feeling I guess there's so many nerves n tendons that get squashed n pushed about they probably all healing too, it's not painful just uncomfortable, stitches out Thursday another step forward smile
  • Posted

That's comforting to hear, I think I am in more pain now than when I was a week ago, mailing from my big toe.. The spasm thing feels allso like its raw, very hard to describe. I thought I had been so well too. Spoke to soon I think. 
    • Posted

Mainly from my big to I mean and doing so well.. Not been so well.. Lol 😊
  • Posted

Hello Swampiesue, I'd say what you are experiencing is pretty normal so soon after your surgery. In all probability it will subside as the weeks go by. These are the 'challenges' in the recovery that a lot of us go through, but it does and will get better. It sounds like maybe that foot is swollen with fluid (normal) and building up pressure and compressing not only the incision, but the nerves, tendons and healing bones. This is the reason why we are told to elevate the foot as high as we can - above heart level for 45 minutes out of every hour - at bedtime too, at least until 6 weeks have passed. Walk a little using crutches - but without full body weight on your foot - for no more than 10-15 minutes each hour. I am at 12 weeks now and still occasionally when I've done too much my foot will let me know, when it will really ache and I have a burning feeling, a little numbness and occasional nerve jumping, but nothing like it was weeks ago. At around 5 weeks it seemed as if a corner had been turned. Suddenly all the resting and elevating of the foot had paid off. Amazingly the healing improved no end. Now at 12 weeks I am practically as good as new and going about my normal life. Walking lots - without even a limp - driving the car, out gardening last weekend etc. I am delighted with the results. They do say it can take up to one year before nerve endings have healed, as well as the tendons and bones. Someone suggested rubbing the numbed area with a soft baby toothbrush to help with stimulating the feelings. I simply rubbed my scar and surrounding skin with a rough towel and that seemed to bring the feelings back little by little. Sometimes of course the numbness doesn't go completely, which can be one of the side effects - but if that's the case you do get used to it. I had an urgent operation 8 years to remove my gall bladder and that scar which had 17 staples, still has numb areas. Hang on in there, try not to panic or worry, I'm sure all is going well. I am 70 and pretty stoical and I'd say, looking back things weren't so bad. In fact I'm going to have my second foot done at the end of the summer and then maybe I'll enter my name for the London Marathon - HaHa!! Best wishes, LadyPink
    • Posted

Thanks Lady Pink, I must confess I have not been resting with root elevated as much as I should, and yes my foot is terribly swollen and tight..I gave up on the crutches after the first week though, I found them more a  hindrance than a help. 
  • Posted

hi i had op 2 weeks ago and one today. no spasms or numbness,  have dull achy pain on the one i had done 2 weeks ago and sometimes sharp pains but thats it, have you walked on it at all? 
    • Posted

To be honest most of the time I walk using my heel shoe but since showering I have occasionally walked on my heel. A couple of times accidentally walked on my toes and the pain was soooooo bad I know I am NOT ready yet... It's still early days for me... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.