Two weeks post op ankle surgery with occasional shooting pain!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have two plates, 8-10 screws, and some type of thin metal band. I have two incisions on both sides of my left ankle and my surgery took about 3 1/2 hours. I woke up with a boot on and felt no pain the first 24 hrs as I was given a “block” from the knee down,  then after two days of pain and I took my boot off as it hurt so bad . I’ve been elevating and religiously using my ice man (it’s my only real relief). I only wear my boot if I’m going somewhere outside of my house . I noticed I can’t sit for long periods of time as I swell up. Lately, while elevating and icing or not icing I feel shooting pains ( is this normal? If so why? has any one else had this thin metal band installed? What’s it for?) I’ve read through old threads and think I am relatively lucky as I get around fine for short periods of time with my boot on...should I be wearing while elevating? I ask because the compression feels  good for a while...I met my surgeon literally ten minutes prior to surgery and have been attended to by PA’s, hence all my questions. Your thoughts and experience would be appreciated!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

2 weeks post op is extremely early days and I would expect you to have some pain. The best advice I can give in the absence of your Consultant which I think is appalling by the way is to still keep it elevated as much as you can. Most people are in a cast so soon after surgery and the boot comes later. If it was me I would be pushing for help from the surgeon. I am in the UK, not sure where you are but my response would be the same. Did you get written discharged advice on aftercare candidate when do you see the Consultant again? In the absence of any medical advice all I would say is try to keep it elevated, don't risk walking without your boot at this early stage and if you are more comfortable wearing your boot while elevated carry on for short periods at least. This advice only comes from my personal experience I am not medically qualified and if I were you I would be ringing either the ward I was on or my GP if I had so little advice so soon post op. Good luck and listen to your body, if it hurts stop.

• Posted

Hi. I'm gob smacked. I have 2 plates with screws and 2 long screws inner ankle bone. I also had a dislocation . I was in constant pain for weeks. I was put in a cast and then after a few weeks a boot. I was on lots of pain medication. The pain is normal after such an operation. I was walking without any aid post op 5 MONTHS.  3 years on nearly and I still have some pain and my ankle will never be the same. I would be very careful if I were you. Good luck.

• Posted

Heidi, I had plate and 8 screws a month ago and the boot for 10 days now. I was told NOT to wear the boot when the leg is up. I was also told that the shooting pain (to me it feels like painful electric current) were normal.

You really should seek medical advice. Did you have your op privately? Best wishes and fingers crossed. Anna

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.