Two weeks to this....

Posted , 2 users are following.

My first episode of cellulitis, took me by surprise two weeks ago. I developed sepsis in hospital, had iv antibiotics for a week before they discharged me on oral antibiotics seven days later.

I was back in hospital within 12 hours after developing an allergic reaction to penicillin that kept me and my weeping, horrific-looking leg in hospital for another eight days while various new antibiotics were administered.

I want my old leg back now, I've had enough 😭

Part of me wants to rip the dressings off, let it dry up, scab over and do without the daily dressings by the nurse for weeks but I'm terrified of developing sepsis again 😔

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

RED ROSE fellow suferer here i have had it 4/5 times once i think with sepsis but not confirmed if wasnt it must of been its brother delireous fever /chills etc etcyour leg sounds similar but a first would not dress it just let it run everywhere till district nurses turned upat home and put me in compression saying it was the only way it would heal and sure enough 6 months later got my leg back allin tack i have just got out again  after a week ivs on abs for life low dose   but also was given what they call rescue pack of abs dont know are you uk the district nurse for bandages they were good with me
  • Posted

Update: well I'm now on day 27 since it all began and so far so good. I'm no longer having the district nurse doing daily dressings and my leg is healing really well. There are still a few scabs to come off but a lot have already come off, with gentle persuasion in some instances. I've been lathering my lower leg in aqueous cream and Flamazine alternatively but as far as dressings go, I'm only covering my leg with the (yellow line) tubigrip dressing as it's not leaking any more and the swelling has reduced so much that my legs are now the same size again. I still have five days of antibiotics (doxycycline) to take and am still itching from the penicillin allergy although the rash has gone. To alleviate this, I have been prescribed cetirizine twice a day and Chlorphenamine every four to six hours.

I am grateful for the progress I have made so far and acknowledge how lucky I am.

• Posted

hi red well done sounds good been there with you just got back out of hospital again with it iv drips agian now antibiotics for life low dose which one morning and night luckly no alergy to them leg still red so even having abs at hand they wernt quick enough to stop it spreading    red i dont whether you have trouble with leg/s but keep them checked swelling moistureing splits/cracks treat right away if diabetic theres emergency clinic for your feet in my area    but that cellulitis is nasty as you know hope you can keep on top of it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.