TWO YEARS ON

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am now 2 years on from a total right hip replacement, after which I experienced no complications/infection etc. However I still walk with a slight limp. At my one year post op discharge appointmention an xray revealed nothing and my consultant couldn't shed any light either as both legs appear to be the same length. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has experienced this?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Edited

Marilyn

Habits are really hard to break and maybe this is a hangover from pre op . did you have limp before due to the hip pain ? If so then muscles may have been slightly weaker on one side exacerbating this. I was advised to make sure that I got glutes working as this has a big impact and to make sure to exercise religiously.Also check out the way you are walking in shop windows etc to see if you can put finger on anything .

• Edited

This could easy have been brought about by not using two crutches during your recovery. For those in the early days of hip replacement recovery it seems to greatly help to use TWO CRUTCHES NOT ONE until you are walking with a strong and balanced gait.

I've stressed this many times here and so have others. It does take many months to regain strength and for the body to learn how to walk correctly after perhaps many years of walking in pain. That is why you should use two crutches regardless of what your doctor or physio says!! Cheers, Richard

• Edited

Good to hear that you're doing well. I agree with Keith, keep exercising, and when you're walking have a look in shop windows at yourself. Make sure you are walking heel to toe. I was lucky, I had a v straightforward recovery (3 years ago), but occasionally I limp without realising, and my husband tells me that I'm swinging my leg out to the side....

All the best, Judith

• Edited

Hi Marilyn, as Keith suggests it is probably muscle weakness on your operated side. I had a THR about eighteen months ago and everything has gone superbly well except for a slight ( and occasional ) limp. For a completely different reason I have been going to a physio and he has suggested that before the operation I was careful in not putting weight on my painful hip - treating that side more carefully - and my brain still wants to do that He has given me a number of exercises to teach my brain that its ok to use my operated hip no different to the otherside.

• Edited

i feel a similar experience. this summer will be two years since my right hip replacement I feel a slight discrepancy in leg lengths. my unoperated leg feels slightly shorter but nothing shows on xray. I too have a slight limp. my dr. does not understand my issue.

• Posted

Hi Cecelia, I noticed you said that nothing shows on xray but you feel your unoperated leg is slightly shorter. May I ask was this xray done specifically to find out whether you had a shorter leg? I would like to get an accurate measurement but don't know who can give me this.

I'm asking because I had my operation 3 years ago and told the surgeon several times that he was operating on my naturally longer leg but he made it even longer. How much longer I'm not sure, I get different answers. I am getting the soles of my shoes split and raised, can no longer wear nice shoes, 3 pairs a year is the allowance, but I still lean to one side. My shorter leg straightens when I walk but my operated leg never straightens and is always bent at the knee. I also get a sharp pain in my thigh when walking which I've now noticed makes me limp. I also get other sharp pains in the joint but I thought until recently that all this was normal. I thought you lived with after effects from such a major operation.

At some point I will be returning to the surgeon but he has already suggested cortisone on the phone. I think that is a simple solution to a bigger issue and anyway, I react to cortisone.

• Posted

hi sylvie. Yes the xray was done in response to my complaint about my un operated leg being slightly shorter. Xrays and measurements were done prior to the surgery as well. i believe that the unoperated hip

is deteriorating and the leg bone has moved up into the space where bone once was. the new hip has placed my leg bone in a new (proper) place where it probably was many years ago, but the old hip has become damaged too. My doctor does not seem to share my theory. An operation on the other hip seems to be in my future. The occasional back aches I get may improve after the second surgery. I guess a new hip has more mass than your old one, thus making your leg longer maybe? I dont know if this is an accurate assessment, Im no doctor. But it makes sense to me. I dont know what the answer is for you. my leg difference is very slight and I have not had serious pain walking. I hope you can find some answers and some relief. Be well and good luck. Cecelia

• Posted

Hi Cecelia, thank you for your quick reply. I can see that our situations are different and I would hope that once the second hip is done that things will sort themselves out. It seems that for some people getting the other side done gets the problem solved as the surgeon levels you up then. I have never be told there is anything wrong with my other hip and even the hip that was replaced was, so two doctors told me, worn in a strange place! My surgeon for whatever reason made my existing leg which has always been longer, even longer. A doctor commented on it to my mother when I started school. I agree about the new hip having 'more mass' that is what it feels like, everything feels larger on that side. I don't really want to see my consultant. He never really spoke to me first time round and I get the feeling he doesn't want to see me now, never mind it has to be faced.

• Edited

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I'm inclined to think it's muscle weakness so will work on that and make a conscious effort not to limp.

Thank you

• Posted

Walking with two crutches after my operation was the best advice I received!! so important. every time I saw my consultant after the op he was delighted I had not given up too soon! Too many people rush this very important stage of recovery, a big mistake !! sincere good wishes.

• Posted

so very TRUE TRUE TRUE !!!! If I am EVER asked for advice re this operation these are always my only consistent replies !!

• Posted

Helen, I've been on this forum for about three years and the consistent feedback has been that two crutches speeds a return to strong walking with a good gait but many people seem not to get it.

What greatly surprises me that some doctors and some physios seem to try to get their patients to use one or no crutches as soon as possible. This is very likely to set back recovery and due to the patients walking in an unbalanced way has the potential to cause spinal damage creating additional work for X-ray departments, doctors and physios and pain for the patients!!

All the best. Richard

• Edited

Ken

many times we have disagreed and I still do on this one . It is very much down to the Individuals and their age ,their level of fitness before etc. We dont all use or need two crutches. The post was about how to help after two years not bleat about what could have gone wrong at the time . Some specific tips for Marylin now would be more useful .

• Edited

Hi Marilyn

Yes I can empathise with you here I am now 50 and had my left THR done September 2017 and it has been a long and frustrating recovery, I still feel I am limping quite a lot although I tend to believe I am still in mend as over the months I have always felt that very gradually I have become stronger and mire and more comfortable. Don't get me wrong I have experienced times where I've felt "this is it, I've recovered as far as I will and it's not going to improve any more. More often though I tend to be with the more positive thoughts to keep believing things are still improving and I will make a full recovery. I am very much into keeping myself fit so this definitely helps keep me focussed positively. I bought a Bosu Ball from Aldi about a year ago and this has been a big help in rebuilding strength/balance back in my legs and core. This does require dedication and patience but I recommend these especially at your stage.

Something that has always kept me positive is I spoke with a neighbour who had his done about 10+ years ago and he said it took him 5 years to make a full recovery, he assured me about 2 years after my op that the pains will eventually disappear. I have made such a big recovery since then and still feel positive I will make a full recovery.

I advise you to stay positive and never give up believing you'll make a full recovery because like anything in if you give up believing your giving up achieving.

Everybody is different so don't allow hearing the quick recovery of others to bring you down. This is a fact so try see it as a positive as I do "the longer your recovery, the better and stronger you'll be in the end"

Just stay positive and hopefully you will make a full recovery!

• Edited

Hiya...

That's some good solid advice and positive post right there..😤😁

One day all will be good...

Pete..😲

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.