Type 1 diabetes and menopause anyone?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Would love to know your experiences, I have been told that the menopause shouldn't affect my blood sugar.....omg if it doesn't then I have suddenly become the most useless diabetic in the world. Have drastically reduced long acting insulin overnight. I never know during the night if the burning up and feeling wobbly and pounding heart is hypo or not without testing, most of the time not, so hey great double the trauma!

Love to know what you have done or what you have been advised to do. I've just been told to get on with it>

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Menopause seems to make all previous disabilities and previous illnesses worse. It also seems to bring on new disabilities and illnesses. I have seen menopause affecting and causing non-diabetic hypoglycemia problems and and I have also seen some women developing type 2 diabetes because of falling hormones. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with these two monsters at the same time!! My prayers are with you!!!!!!!

• Posted

Thank you! it seems obvious to me that any existing medical problem would be affected but some medical professionals dont grasp the seriousness of the symptoms 😶

• Posted

I know! I have several friends and family members that are in the medical field, doctors and nurses and they tell me that they were not taught about menopause in school. Hormones were not a subject they were taught??? I do not understand that since hormones control all glands and are constantly sending signals to our organs too keep us running soothly and balanced! It makes no sense to me!

• Posted

smoothly LOL not soothly

• Posted

hello Ella, i was very interest by your post, i went through a 6hr glucose test where they take your blood every hour for 6 hours and the outcome was reactive hypoglycemia. I was so shocked at this as now ive to eat little and often yet i have no appetite so find it very difficult. im really careful to eat on time but i can still get the shakes and feel ill pass out on occasions.

Your right about the doctors, from my experience they know nothing and don't know what to do with us.

• Posted

Reactive hypoglycemia is just horrible!!!! It can cause so much more anxiety and stress on a body that is already stress to the max. Low progesterone and adrenaline dominance are usually the cause of it. Low progesterone and adrenaline dominance can also be the cause anxiety and stress as well.

• Posted

You better believe HORMONES can mess with blood sugar! ESPECIALLY with dropping it quickly! ALSO raising it. Sometimes I wonder where doctors got there training or WHO trained them or did they just cheat on all exams and use people as guinea pigs!

• Posted

Good Morning Diane, Was that what your doctor told you or did your pharmacist tell you that? I would speak directly with the pharmacist and see what he says. I’m not a doctor, but in my opinion, there’s no way that menopause and fluctuating hormones are not going to affect diabetes. Mayo Clinic May have information on this and they have an auto email you can receive from them. Have you googled this, I’m sure there’s information out there. everywoman is different, obviously 😉 so what may be good for another person wouldn’t suit you, so you will want to be very careful. Have you ever tried cinnamon supplements to try to balance your sugar? I know diabetes is so tricky, I can’t imagine during menopause what it’s like. you really have to advocate for yourself, I hate to sound negative, but I would not take the doctors opinion, face value. I have seen for 20+ years how I have had to advocate for my husband, myself and my mother as far as anything medical, it’s a must 😉 My husband is also diabetic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.