Type 1 Diabetes Burnout

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had type one diabetes for ten years now and I just want to be done with it.  My doctor tells me that this is called a burnout and that it tends to occur every five years.  I feel like no one can relate to me and my struggle with diabetes.  Are there any other type one diabetics out there that feel the same way? And what could I do to get my motivation back to take back control of my diabetes?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes mate, can sure relate to that...longing for the day when I can go out, order what I want and have a great big slab of dairy caramel all to myself. I know we're stuck with it and it's never what we want to hear. 

Taking control is all down to you I'm afraid...keep on eating healthily etc etc. 

how's your social life....do you have a good circle of friends? Sometimes talking about it can help & others can support with good words if they are understanding. Maybe ask to see a psychologist...they can be helpful towards trying to break the psycological chain that you feel is tying you down.

Have a Google for diabetes support groups. It's not the best news when the doc says "forever", so just try reaching out to others in the same boat (hence starting here I guess!). It is frustrating, but chin up & try talking. Good luck buddy, there's loads of us here.

• Posted

I really apreciate your responce.  I have supportive friends that I have now reached out to and they are trying to understand and help.  And this site does allow me to reach out to others.  Thank you for letting me know that I'm not alone.
  • Posted

Stick with it m8, i have diabetes since feb 1995 and have had several burnouts and regreted it. Where i neglected it and had a few complications, belive me me you have to look after yourself m8 
    • Posted

thanks for responding. it's nice to know that I'm not alone.
  • Posted

It's so nice to know that I am not alone! I too long for the day of being able to eat a meal without counting the carbs or having to make excuses and do an injection! I think burnout is just natural, would be great if we could have a week off once a year or so! But it's definitely not all doom and gloom, if you just think having the best control can really help for your health and complications in the future. It's not easy and we all have our ups and downs, but please try and think of the positives and do your best to keep control to prevent any negatives in the future. Keep going and stay strong smile
  • Posted

I can totally relate to thisI'm 22 and I have only had type 1 diabetes for 2 years. Having lived 20 years eating whatever I fancied and doing everything without a second thought it was such a shock when I was diagnosed. At first I coped well and my suger levels were pretty good, but 18 months in I started to really struggle with it. My control was terrible and no matter what I did I was never at a good level. I stopped doing insulin because I decided if I was going to be high anyway why bother trying to control it? It got pretty bad, I stopped testing because I didn't want to know how high I was. Its getting better now but still.. I am glad to hear i am not the only one! I talk to my friends, but they don't really understand what it is like day in, day out.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.