type 1 diabetic and need some advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, was only diagnosed Feb of this year. Im 22 and At first I literally thought nothing of it, kept and eye on what I ate and drank, but it never really sunk in that for the rest of my life Id be constantly watching what Id have to eat and not eat and how to manage being so high and hypos. Im so confused with my insulin intake in co ordination with the carbs I eat, I have to keep a diary now of how many carbs Im taking in, so they can put me on 4 injections a day instead of two. Im starting to feel terrible mood swings like other people mentioned on here and extreme fatigue. I didnt know if that was a symptom of diabetes? I need some advice from people who have had this disease for years and I feel cheeky to start complaining as Ive only had it a short while in comparison to others that have dealth with it for as long as Ive been alive. I get scared its going to cause complications with my heart as I already have a heart condition. I try to put on a brave face to family and friends and pretend that Im fine when really I would just like to sit and have an in depth chat with someone to clear the questions I have. Every day I think of questions. I get scared at work when I can feel a hypo coming on and often think people dont take me seriously when I say I need to stop and drink some juice and eat a few biscuits. I think that some people think Im being over dramatic. does anyone feel this way?

really appreciate a chat

smile

xxx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I know you posted a while ago but I've only just joined! I completely understand what you mean, I was diagnosed 18 months ago aged 20 and I was the same at first, I got on with it and did my best. However as time has gone on I have begun to realise that this is it, forever now and that's a lot to deal with. I don't have a set regime, but just inject as and when I eat. My hba1c says that my levels are great but my day to day control is all over the place and I my moods seem to now be directly related to whether I have a good or bad reading. I'm at uni and going low in lectures is a nightmare, I put off dealing with it until the lecture ends so as to avoid all the awkwardness. I know this isn't the best way but I don't want to have to explain everything to others. Like you say, I'm worried that people will think I am being over dramatic.

I am aware that this hasn't answered any of your questions at all and probably hasn't helped you, but in a strange way its nice to know that I'm not alone in feeling this way!

• Posted

Welcome to you both, I've just joined here. I was diagnosed 12 years ago at age 48 (unusual to get type 1 at that sort of age but ti does happen) and I still remember the sense of shock I felt. You can expect to feel off-balance for some time but you will eventually adjust, and over time you will come to feel more in control of your condition.

I know the worry about coming over as over-dramatic, but the fact is that if you don't look after yourself diabetes will cripple or kill you. A nephew of mine didn't and he died at age 36. I've found that if I have to deal with a hypo or inject before a meal in public I almost never get a bad reaction from those around me - maybe twice in those twelve years.

Bryony, do you carry sugar pills? If so you may find you can take those unobtrusively in lectures to tide you over until you can have a proper snack. It might help to explain your situation to your lecturers in advance so they know what is going on.

Hang in there. It does get better.

• Posted

This is really common don't worry. I was diagnosed at the age of 14 years and dealt with it fine! It didn't affect my life at all! However, now at the age of twenty it ruins my life everyday...this is also due to an eating disorder and depression in conjunction with the diabetes. Two things I really recommend!

1. Learn how to carb count properly as when done correctly you feel so accomplished emotionally as well as VAST improvements physically. HOWEVER PLEASE do not get hung up on numbers...just use them as a rough guide! ...it's a slippery slope if you do, trust me!

2. Don't believe everything you read about diabetes on the internet....just listen to the advice of your physician...they WILL be giving you advice tailored to you so you mustn't listen to any conflicting advice online.

P.S. Live your life! Don't completely forget about diabetes but when you don't have to think about it...e.g. when you have completed all the testing and counting and injecting...live normally. Just think ' I have done my best, I have done everything I can and if the reading doesn't go to plan then that is just factors I can't control' (other hormones etc)

You will lead a normal happy fulfilled life, I promise you.

X

• Posted

I feel completely the same about when my sugar is low and feel people think i am dramatic at work. I dont think there is enough education about type 1 around-it is mostly type 2. I am 34 and had this since i was 11 and still struggle. People can be quite naive in thinking you cause yourself to have diabetes through your eating-so upsetting but i suppose i would not know about it if i never had it. 

We are lucky we can control it ourselves though and it is treatable. Maybe one day we wont have to inject huh? Hope your are getting on okay. Im always here to chat smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.