Type 1 diabetic for 44 years

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been type 1 since April 1973 on insulin. I went on the Animas Vibe Insulin Pump in September 2015, which I love. I test about 8 times a day or more after many years of barely testing. My hba1c has always stayed around 8, last one was 75 (about 9). I do struggle with a very very sweet tooth and am struggling to lose around 4 stone in weight. It's so hard to get things right sometimes, to get a good balance. I joined Slimming World around Christmas but have only lost 5 lbs so far. I work 4 days a week. It is so difficult to lose weight, or is it just me!??

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cats, I couple of things. I've had low grade hypothyroid disease my entire life, undiagnosed for most of my life, so I struggled with my weight even as a young athlete. I eventually found a book written by a doctor published in the 1970s, and found some amazing tips. Such as, if you want to lose weight, dropping 200 calories a day isn't enough for most women.

i read everything I could about diets because most diets caused me to gain weight. Eventually I went from a small size 14 to an 8, then to a 3. The key was eating a low calorie diet with exercise. Even with 9-1300 calories a day, it was over two months before I finally lost some weight. Then, bamm! I started losing and kept going until I got to size three. Another trick is to stay on track with the calories even when you feel like it isn't working. Wait it out, and you will lose weight.

You'll also want to consider your overall health. If you're eating low calorie food that isn't healthy, contains preservatives, dyes, other additives, you'll find it more difficult to lose. Toxicity is stored in fat as a way to protect the body. So if you're toxic and you're adding to it by eating processed foods, you make it more difficult to lose weight and keep it off.

In spite of all the fad diets, there are no easy fixes. It takes hard work and mental stamina. I remember times when the emotional hunger was so bad, I felt like I was starving. I realized, I didn't know the difference between real hunger and emotional hunger. I feels the same. At least for me.

Commit to giving up the sweets and fatty foods. I can tell you, I loved the feeling of being able to look fabulous in anything I wore and look years younger than my age because I was slender, toned and had beautiful skin from cleansing and a healthy diet.

Lastly, if you have medical problems, autoimmune disease, or other issues, you'll find it more difficult to lose. It isn't fair, I know. Some people are just thin without trying, some of us have to work at it. If you aren't ready to really commit to doing the work, you will most likely fail. So decide what's most important to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.