Type 1 on metformin

Posted , 2 users are following.

My daughter diagnose in October 2016 with type 1 in honeymoon phase is only on metformin 1000mgs. I've looked everywhere and can't find anyone first diagnosed being put on metformin only. She's not on insulin. Is this a normal beginning treatment?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

How old is your daughter? Does she definitely have type 1? My understanding is that people with type 1 do not produce any insulin and therefore metformin would not help. You need to go back to your doctor and confirm what type she has.

• Posted

She just turned 19. She is type 1 her gad came back positive. She didn't do the normal crash. I have a nephew with type 1 and new the signs and got her tested. A1c was 10.4. We go back next week. But he said since she's in the honeymoon phase the metformin seemed to help. Shes on a strick diet of 45 carbs per meal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.