type 2

Posted , 4 users are following.

Anyone heard or know someone who self harm's whilst having type 2 diabetes?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I don't know anyone who has diabetes and self harms.  I've had Type 2 for 19 years and know that diabetics have to be very careful about wounds,because left untreated they can lead to serious infections. It's bad enough making sure I deal with accidental cuts and wounds etc. so I certainly wouldn't deliberately harm myself.   I understand that self harming is all to do with control but, if you have diabetes, you have to be in control of your diet, exercise and possibly your medication (I inject four times a day) so that should be enough control without harming yourself as well.  If you are the one who is self harming then you should be extremely careful about infection.
    • Posted

Thanks spindles for your reply, yeah I self harm plus depression,PTSD I have had diabetes for 12 years never had control over it just don't want it, (I know, most of diabetic's don't) its a long battle, been to the DRs but it will be a long waiting list for counseling which I need. Sorry for the rant.
  • Posted

Hi catherine 08220

I have seen someone who did self harm and they had lost an arm from just below the elbow through a cyst which got infected.

so please tell whoever it is to be careful.

• Posted

I completely agree with Spindles and Mark357. Self harming is very dangerous even for people without diabetes. I know people that self harm and I know that it can be because of many different reasons that can be personal, and for them it is a way to make those situations better. I also work with people with diabetes and understand the frustration they go through because of the different lifestyle they have from everyone else, the extra care they need and the extra medication they require.

It is essential to keep in control smile

There are different methods that diabetics turn to to find a way out of diabetes or just to try and forget tat they have diabetes, some turn to self harm, others turn to support from people that they can talk to (which is a method I recommend) and others can turn to medication and diets that claim to improve their health. For this method it is important to know what they are and how useful they are!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.