Type 2 diabetes

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed with pre diabetics which I have never heard of via a routine blood test. I was invited to the the diabetic nurse at my GP s surgery.  She weighed me told me I should lose a couple of inches around my waist and told me I have to go on a 5 2 diet, not a lot was explained to me and I was in shock so didn't really say much nor ask many questions  I'm not obese nor fat I think I'm a normal size with a waistline where maybe I could do with losing a few pounds but no more. My diet is I believe healthy eat lots of veg no junk food and I can't tell her of any of my family had diabetics as they are mostly dead.  I'm 57 yrs old and relatively healthy apart

from reflux disease   I've since had 2 letters asking me to go for a foot check and eye test I was also told now my risk of heart disease is higher and talked of losing limbs. I don't need meds I was told but all on all I'm on shock.   Any and all comments welcomed    Thank you.   Paul.  I'm in the uk by the way

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Diabetes 2 can be reversed and if you are slim and fairly fit it shouild be easier, but you have to change your diet and stick with it. The doctors rarely tell you this because they prefer to deal with symptoms and use medication. Garlic might be a thought (the supplement each day) to help thin the blood and maybe a few other things. Natural is best with a thing like this anyway.
  • Posted

Pre Diabetes is getting a lot of press publicity at the moment. If you Google it you will find a lot of newspaper articles on it.

They are really using scare tactics on you, sounds like it was a practice nurse and not your doctor:-)

I often wonder how much doctors interest is prompted by by the large payments they get for each diabetic on their register and doing an annual check up.

I would much sooner that they took a greater interest in my high BP rather than than my not so high blood glucose.

• Posted

Thank you , no I just got a phone call from my surgery saying my gp had reviewed my annual well man blood test and I need to see the diabetic nurse, apparemt

y I'm told I'm now on the diabetics register ! My bp is 118 over 72 and fine my cholesterol is. 4.8 fine too and now they throw this a me

• Posted

I was told about 11 years ago that I was glucose intolerant (is that what is now pre diabetes??) I had been eating a lot of Manuka honey and  Werthers originals:-) and my blood glucose was over 14. Soon it was just over 7. and has remained between 6.8 and 7.8 since. 

Trouble is my BP fluctuates wildly.

I was given some tablets to reduce my blood sugar readings, Metformin and two others. They all gave me pain similar to when I had a stomach ulcer and I stoped them all. Metformin seems to be a drug that gives mny people problems.

• Posted

Hi Derek, I am impressed by how proactive you are in trying to understand and sort your problems. Not tried the manuka honey but have read a lot about it. I have read about all different things that help some people and not others. I now a stomach ulcer is horrible, had that last year.

Werthers originals are those sweets arent they, not sure they would be good for anyone but maybe very tasty.

• Posted

I know all to well how dangerous diabetes is. My brother in law, about 69 died as a consequence of it last year... a long dreadfull story and much medical neglect involved over about twenty years.
    • Posted

Hi Derek. If it was type 2 then at least we can make sure we eat the right things, do not over eat and do not become overweight, or if we get it reverse it by changing our diets drastically. I do not see how the doctor can do that for us.
    • Posted

Look around nowadays as people gorge themselves as they waddle around. Not much that you can do for them.

At supermarket checkouts I often look in vain for anything healthy in the trollies. It's a world wide problem.

• Posted

Yes you are so right. Nothing wrong with eating unhealthy things now and then but most do it every day and then moan and expect a doctor to sort it all out. But there is no education on PREVENTION, we are just left to our own devices and see ads on the tv for chocolate and icecream and eat them because they taste nice. I have always said that the manufa\cturers and supermarkets are a bit like drug pushers, they advertise and peddle things that are unhealthy to us for profit - whether that be salt, fat or sugar.

They sell us so called healthy biscuits and say they only contain 100 calories when most biscuits contain that anyway, and most biscuits are unhealthy even the so called healthy ones, or the breakfast cereals full of sugar.

• Posted

I agree with derek76 the doctors DO get paid lots of money for people on various registers, diabetes, asthma etc.  There has been a lot of publicity about diabetes and pre-diabetes and urging people to watch what they eat and that being overweight can lead to type 2 diabetes.   The "normal" blood sugar level was put at between 4 and 7 but a few years ago the 7 was lowered to about 6.5, thereby catching people who weren't diabetic.  It might be lower than that now which catches even more.  I've had Type 2 for 19 years and have never been overweight but my sugar level on diagnosis was 22.   I was about seven and a half stone when diagnosed and have gradually crept up to around nine stone.  My only symptom was a raging thirst for about three days and as my father was diabetic I was pretty sure that's what it was and I was right. I was put on tablets but am now on tablets and four injections a day.  My blood pressure wasn't high but it seems that nearly all diabetics are put onto BP lowering tablets to keep it low.  At one time it made mine go so low I had to stop taking them but am on some different ones now that are keeping it at a better level. As for being pre-diabetic I believe this is a cynical way for the NHS/Government to try and frighten people into eating a more healthy diet and, I suppose, that's good in one way but causes unnecessary fear in another way.   Just use the diagnosis as a wakeup call and improve your diet and see how it goes, after all, it's better to be pre something than actually be told you've got it.  Remember that we're ALL pre-death but the doctors don't keep banging on about it!
    • Posted

Would think that most of us would be aware that we are risking diabetes 2 by our lifestyles and would automatically eat less, different or whatever. If the doctors get paid extra if we are on that list they will be looking for victims to add to that list. I once had a doctor insist I have a flu jab when I did not want one but he got paid for that.

Do you think your diabetesw 2 was because you had the same lifestyle as your father - eating same things etc - or simply inherited?

• Posted

I think my diabetes is inherited rather than caused by lifestyle.  I never stuffed myself with junk food and only very occasionally have a burger etc.  My father wasn't overweight and didn't eat excessively and a few years ago I diagnosed my twin sister.  Her only symptom was thrush that she had for almost two years.  She tried all sorts of creams and things and as one of the symptoms of diabetes is thrush I tested her and her sugar level was 9, not high but high enough and it was confirmed by her doctor.  As soon as she cut out sugary things the thrush disappeared and hasn't coe back. She weighs even less than me, isn't a big eater and is extremely fit as she keeps animals and exercises dogs regularly.

I know a bit about inherited things as my sister and I go to the Twin Research Unit at St. Thomas' Hospital in London every so often and have lots of tests done and we have found out that so many things are inherited. Short sightedness, whether you're likely to cheat on your partner, your sense of humour to name just three so why not diabetes? 

• Posted

I read a lot about candida a few years ago and that can cause thrush all to do with sugar poisoning. Am surprised they say that whether or not you cheat on your partner is inherited, surely that would be more to do with lifestyle again where the child sees the parents behaving that way and follows the lead. I have a great sense of humour but my father had none at all.
    • Posted

It is good to be able to get on such a programme at St Thomas's. They also recruited some hospital sisters to follow over the years. The sister from my wife's ward at Kingston Hospital goes every two years for tests.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.