Type 2 diabetes

Posted , 9 users are following.

im concerned about a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes, has any one done anything , exercise meds etc and beaten the problem , or is it an  ongoing issue?

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

There is a fundamental difference between us then because we think differently and I believe that what we think we bring to ourselves! A self fulfilling prophecy if you like.   I think that I can be well and that is my aim.
  • Posted

Insulin is recognised as the most effective treatment for diabetes 2.  Insulin is also thought to exert a disease modifying effect.   Chief among the fears associated with insulin are disease progression, weight gain and a fear of needles (needle anxiety) so Doctors resort to insulin as a last resort treatment for people who have difficulty, for various reasons, controlling their blood sugar levels.  

Disease progression???   Moving from an oral medication to insulin does not mean a progression in the disease, it simply means that oral medications, for various reasons, may not be efficacious, – diabetes 2 is diabetes 2 regardless of control methodologies.   

Weight gain???   Weight is usually attributed to over eating unless other problems are evidenced, such as an under active thyroid.    Weight gain is only a problem if you ‘feed the insulin’ rather than utilise it to regulate blood sugars.  Following a proven regimen such as carb counting and monitoring activity levels will make ‘feeding the insulin’ a non problem. 

Needle anxiety???   The needles are so small one could sneak up behind you and stick it in any fleshy part of the body without you even being aware.   Fear of the body being invaded by a sharp implement raises the highest fences in most cases.  

If carb counting and activity monitoring sound too hard, time consuming or just plain too much trouble, most healthy individuals do that as a matter of course; that being, counting/restricting/increasing calories to maintain or achieve a desired weight goal.   Monitoring activity levels?   Again most individuals do that everyday in some manner to avoid exhaustion or sedentarism – would you set off at full speed knowing you have a marathon in front of you, would you sit on the couch in front of the TV every minute of the day, of course not!   And when you plan activities every sane person should ensure their body has the right amount of fuel to complete the task at hand, that is called portion control.   Nothing really that difficult or different from what most of us do - day in, day out!

• Posted

Hi

I have a question. I really don't know when to test my blood sugar. Is it after 1 hour meal or after 2 hours meal accurate? My dr does not pay attention to me. I also went to endo but he is the same S my dr. Beacuse my A1c was 5.7 they don't take anything else siriously while some diabetic researchers says 1 hour is very important.

Today I ate a smal bowl of white bens and I checked

My blood sugar after 1 hour was 178

And after 2 hours was 172

The thing that confuses me is even though both numbers are high to me I still feel very hungry.

Will you please tell me what's going on and what should I do. What should I ask my dr to test or to do at my next visit since he doesn't care or know what to do. I am really worried.

• Posted

Hi

It is important to discuss this with your GP, the blood test they use is called HbA1C and indicates 'how diabetic you are' if you are just on the threshold it is possible to reverse the condition using diet and exercise. If this is not enough drug therapy is the next step.

Reducing the levels of carbohydrate in your diet (including sugar!) is vital. Eat wholegrains instead of 'white' food, these break down into sugar more slowly in your body. Eat leaner cuts of meat, and try to replace some meat with fish in your diet. Low fat dairy products are also helpful.

Exercise is also vital, people often like to ignore its importance as it is seen as being harder, biut if you can increase your heart rate for 30 mins a few times a week this is very helpful! 

I don't know what your general health is like but lowering your blood pressure and cholesterol can reduce your risk of complications.

Best of luck,

J

• Posted

Thanks josh51567, been on a sugar free diet past year or so, and working on the carbs, just awaiting test results, exercise fir some reason is always the deal breaker, but if needed I'll be there as often as poss, .

thanks for your info , 

cheers 

• Posted

Well done! keep up the healthy diet! 

On the exercise front, remember it doesn't have to be extreme, in fact it's the people who say they will go the gym 4 times a week that will more likely fail. They burn out and then stop going as it's hard. instead just aim to take a walk round the block/town/park every other day and build it up from there.

good luck

J

• Posted

Cheers Josh, I'll remember that, thanks. For you info , take care

• Posted

Hi

I have a question. I really don't know when to test my blood sugar. Is it after 1 hour meal or after 2 hours meal accurate? My dr does not pay attention to me. I also went to endo but he is the same S my dr. Beacuse my A1c was 5.7 they don't take anything else siriously while some diabetic researchers says 1 hour is very important.

Today I ate a smal bowl of white bens and I checked

My blood sugar after 1 hour was 178

And after 2 hours was 172

The thing that confuses me is even though both numbers are high to me I still feel very hungry and if I don't check my numbers I will eat more and more.

Will you please tell me what's going on and what should I do. What should I ask my dr to test or to do at my next visit since he doesn't care or know what to do. I am really worried.

• Posted

Hi Kate I'm sorry I hav no answers as I'm only currently diagnosed and finding the info needed my self , however if you start your own chat session you will get plenty of responses as I hav, sorry I cannot help. 

God luck 

• Posted

Do you have any symptoms of diabetes? A HbA1c of 5.7 is not diabetic, nor even pre-diabetic by UK guidlines. I agree though that your BM is high

Regards,

J

• Posted

Hi

Thank you for your respond. So what are the guide line for diabeties over there. Will you please tell me. I mean what are the normal and abnormal numbers. Here in the U.S it used be higher numbers before like A1c 6 was normal but they brought down to 5.7

What is the normal sugar levels before and after meal over there and when does doctors recomand you to check it at 1 hour or 2 hours

Thank you

• Posted

Hi Kate, testing depends on your situation. Sounds like you just want to know what your blood sugar is doing, so I've been told two hours after eating, or first thing in the morning for fasting blood sugar. 

When end my mom was on adjustable insulin injections, I had to test just prior to each meal to know how much insulin to give her. Now that she's on oral meds, I generally test at least two hours after eating. I try to test first thing in the morning and then again prior to dinner and adjust her diet or oral meds accordingly.

• Posted

Hi I am type 2 diabetes, type one runs in my family.

I've been diagnosed since 3 years ago almost 4. I am on medication for it twice a day, I've cut down on some food that I used to eat, I can't exercise because I am waiting to get my hips replace. You can't get rid of diabetes no matter what type you are. My blood sugar are fine every time I go for a check up but I am still diabetic.

I have also been put on diet medication as I said above I cant exercise as I am going for a hip replacement next month.

I know a lot about type one and type 2 so if you want to know anything let me know.

Megan X

• Posted

Hi Megan

I do have some questions for you. It's about A1C, fasting numbers and postparnadal numbers. Do you know that doctors go after Which one of the numbers.

I Had A1c's of 5.4,5.5,5.6 and recently 5.7

My fasting numbers are always under 100

But it is my after meal numbers that are all over and are concern to me.

If I eat salad with chicken brest my both 1hr and 2hours will be around 100

If I eat pasta without feta chees on it my numbers will spike to 180 and comes down very slowly. Like at the second hour I'll still have 160 or 150 readings

The spikes happen with any other carbs as well.

Now for the morning if I eat eggs my readings are fine but if I eat oatmeal or anything else the spikes comes back.

I also check my numbers during the day to see if there is any wierd numbers but mostly were normal.

I went and I saw an endo as well he also dismissed my concerns.

For this reason I've got several different options from different doctors they've all dismissed my concerns as well.

But my Google reaserching tells me different. That's why I'm confused.

Thank you Megan x

• Posted

Hi Kate

That's weird I've never experienced something like that before. Mines went high when I was eating chocolate before I was aloud to eat diabetic chocolate but now I can't as I am allergic to it. I had to do a 4 hour test just see if I was diabetic. Have you been diagnosed with diabetes?. Your not allergic to anything are you?.

The normal 1AC reading should be about 5.7 or lower, 6.5 or above you have diabetes. The doctors should definitely do something about it if it's over 6.5. I would definitely go back to the doctors, as your readings shouldn't be like that.

I am probably much use.

Megan X

• Posted

Might I am probably not much use*
    • Posted

Hi Megan

So you think my levels are wierd too? You know I was also thinking what if I am a wierd case too. You see o can eat ice cream and dark chocolate with no problem but the moment I eat crabs like rice, pasta and white bread without protein my sugar jumps to 180 or 190 and slowly comes down to 140 after 2 hours. Sometimes as I said stays on 150 even after two hours. But my fastings are ok for now.

I should ask for another A1C test. But my dr refuses to order one. He only does ones in the year.

The endo dr orderd me two C-peptides tests one was back at the year 2014 and another one on 2015.

The first one was little out of the range

It was 5.2 and normal ranges were 0.8-3.1

My second one was in range which was 0.9.

Have you had this test done too.

• Posted

Hi Kate, it's normal for carbs to spike your blood sugar. Protein stabilizes blood sugar. Look into Paleo type diets, they are basically protein and leafy greens with a little fruit. Many people use this sort of diet to successfully manage their blood sugar.  You can also do searches on diabetic diets to learn about glycemic indexes of foods, carb counting, etc.

• Posted

Hi Kate, yeah I think your levels are a bit weird with the numbers. You should definitely go back to the doctors and they should definitely get it check. I am only quite young as well but I have other health conditions. Do you if you are allergic to anything?. That's shocking he said do another one.

Yeah I have had these test done before mines are fine but I am on medication to control it.

smile x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.