Type 2 Diabetes HELP!!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi All,

I recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. My doctor prescribed me red box Crescent pharmacy limited Metformin contains metformin hydrochloride 500mg with dinner.

Day1 had loose stool soon after dinner.

Day 2 bad headache

Day 3 constipation and bloating

Day 4 constipation and sore feet

Day 5 extreme sweat on face and head at 3am which disturbed my sleep next day sore feet and knees

Day 6 stomach upset, constipation, light headed, blurred vision

Day 7 weekness, constipation

Day 8 Constipation, weekness, sleepy

Day 9 constipation, dark urine, Dehydration

Day 10 Stomach upset, thursty, dizzy

Day11 extreme diarrhoea at midnight for one hour nonstop

Day 12 Diarrhoea in the morning, headache, weak, tired, sleepy,

Day 13 today been to my GP she gave me another Metformin hydrochloride Glucophage prolonged MODIFIED-RELEASE 500 mg with food

I'm scared of taking new tablet if anyone having similar experiences and how you resolve or came out from it. Please share will appreciate . Many thanks x

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Metformin is weird stuff. I take the regular kind, and it did take me a month or more before I got used to it. Since then, only the most minor side-effects. Constipation can be one, and the constipation can cause other problems. I was able to fix mine very easily - get some magnesium capsules. Any drug store has a dozen kinds, just take one standard dose per day. Alternately eat some almonds, which are naturally high in magnesium.

The time release is supposed to be much better for people, I've never tried it.

• Posted

thank you for sharing your experience I'm trying 2nd one from today. let's see what happens will definitely try vit B12 and magnesium. x

• Posted

Hey one more suggestion, get some vitamin B12 as well. Maybe you were already low, but metformin can lower your B12 levels. B12 usually comes as "sublingual" tablets, some ridiculously huge dose, just keep the tablet under your tongue for ten minutes as it dissolves, usually cherry flavor.

• Posted

HI Nita. I have type 2. Was on Metformin in the beginning and had awful side effects. Had to go on another Med. Now on Insulin. Then my doc put me on Metformin ER and boy what a difference. Didn't make me have all those awful side effects. Actually I have no side effects. So Now that I've had diabetes for years am on insulin and 500 mg of Metformin ER as back up. I hope your feeling better soon. Diabetes is not a fun disease to have. excercise, eat well, and try to keep weight down.

• Posted

you are absolutely correct Diabetes is not a fun disease to have. I'm starting 2nd one from today in the meantime I have started walking 30mins in morning and afternoon that I can only do when I'm not working. I work Thursday to Sunday in retail so get very tired to follow up routine. Thank you for sharing your experience xx

• Posted

I was diagnosed type 2 in 2015. I requested a blood test because I was tired and had no energy. I was at 9.2 A1C. I was put on metformin ER. I did get similar side effects but very mild. After a month or two they were mostly gone. Metformin can increase glucose excretion through the kidneys and undigested through colon. But, your body will get used to it. I can now take 1 caplet 3 times a day if I take it 3 hour apart in the middle of a meal. It is a highly effective and proven medication used for over 80 years. The newer diabetic drugs have terrible side effects.

My doctor started adding prescriptions, because I was diabetic, but they cause me more problems, stomach pain, dizziness. I decided I was going to learn more about this type 2 diabetes and try to avoid these other drugs.

Low Potassium appears to be the main issue. So I eat foods high in potassium. Coconut water, spinach, dark green superfoods like kale, also carrots, apples. I make a smoothie using carrots and apple, spinach, kale, powdered superfood, protein powder. Then add some organic probiotic yogurt to it, add some water if its too thick. Vegetable juicing is also therapeutic . My sister helped her new husband get his high diabetes from A1C of over 11, down to near normal levels by juicing superfoods every morning and sending him to work with a quart of high nutrition juice.

You need to take this seriously because out of control glucose has many horrible side effects. Fast foods like a hamburger or chicken sandwich, french fried and a soda, have almost no nutrition. But that is what most people are eating nowadays. You need to take control, do research, exercise, drink pure water, eat organic pure superfoods. John

• Posted

Jonathan, actually as long as your chicken sandwich is not fried, it's probably not too bad for most type2 diabetics - the bun might be 20 carbs but that's not too bad for most people. But avoid the fries! Even the burger is pretty OK, but has somewhat more fat. A low-fat diet helps with type2 - of course also low-carb. For most people we do not need a no-fat diet or a no-carb diet. But of course every case is different, and some people will need a very strict diet. I'm lucky, as long as I keep my carb count down and take my metformin, I'm doing pretty well, A1C under 6.0.

• Posted

thank you for sharing your experience it's more in details. I'm taking Metformin Modified-release touch wood soo far I have no side effects apart from constipation tummy looks bloated . The good news is since i started this new one my glucose level dropped down today 6.0 . Perhaps ; I am making sure to eat more healthy food in every two hours in small quantities and making sure to drink plain water. But still have little fear of getting side effects one of this is diarrhoea which is the worst thing I had in 1st original Metformin.

thank you john

nita

• Posted

Excellent! My A1C should be better this next test since my morning glucose has been 120 or under for a number of months. Hopefully my doctor will stop pestering me to add more medications. I do best just on metformin ER. All the others tend to make me dizzy. My cholesterol is another story. Still too high!

• Posted

Morning glucose of 120 should get you an A1C somewhere in the 6's. I still test before each meal and my morning reading is usually the highest so if you're like that you might even break under 6.0!

• Posted

I am wondering from your date of joining if you are in the UK? If you are I suggest you register with diabetes.org.uk I was diagnosed a month ago with Type 2 and apart from the initial flurry of tests and appointments have pretty much been left to get on with it. The diabetes website is full of information, training, and diabetes related forums. I have read of people reporting the same symptoms as you and am sure you would find lots of help and support.

I hope you have been advised on how to modify your diet, cutting down on carbs. I joined the NutraCheck website which measures calories, carbs, sugars, fats, protein, sodium, fibre for every single food, and keeps a dairy by meal, day and week. Does all the calculating for you, and it is worldwide. You have picked up the need for exercise. I have started Aquafit once a week, and there are classes from 6.30am to 6pm in my area. I have also purchased a mini exercise bike from Amazon for around £35 and use it 6 times a day (I am retired). but it is something you could use at home, just for a couple of minutes at a time, and could fit round your working day.

• Posted

Hi, thank you for sharing information. I live in London . I already joined diabetes. co.uk and found many useful informations. My problem is i m not able to keep up exercise and food as doing shift work. Since I started another Metformin called Modified release I feel lack of energy, lightheaded, hungry and my today's fasting bg was 5.8. Being a vegetarian I'm lack of Vit D, C and Iron which I'm suppose to take it regularly but not.

Thank you once again

• Posted

Hello

I hope you are feeling better now. In any case if you are feeling these weird symptoms, try testing your sugar level at that time. If you get sudden dips in sugar level, report to your GP.

Good luck

Z

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.