Type 2 Diabetes - Metformin Causing problems. ! Help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All,

First Metformin 500 mg gave me awful side effects so my doctor changed it to following.

Now, I'm on Metformin Modified-release I noticed fasting blood sugar gone up this morning before breakfast 10.06 and after breakfast 11.0

symptoms this morning were as follows:

got up with dizzy, lightheaded, weakness, sleepy,tired, hungry, extreme thirst, dry mouth, passing urine often, tight feelings on upper arm, heaviness on chest, aches and pain in body

I went to see my doctor she checked my blood pressure was 148/94 than she checked my urine she found white cell in so given antibiotic. I had ear ache since over four weeks so she checked my right ear she said its ear infection.

overall I have been given antibiotic called trimethoprim for urine and ear infection, iron for weakness .

one of friend here suggested vit B12 which I started taking since yesterday

also taking vit D, C

I researched about Metformin it can cause inflammation and white cell in urine ...has anyone got or had similar problems? and how did you came out of all this ? if you could share your experience will appreciate.

Thank you x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Nita, those are some borderline high readings, what did your doctor say about just your BG numbers? Now the thing is if you have an infection (or any stress) that can raise your BG numbers temporarily.

Are you taking the Metformin-modified just once per day, or twice? Maybe raising the dosage would help the BG numbers. Maybe you need additional medication, too.

What kind of diet are you following, how many carbs per meal, per day?

And of course - are you getting any exercise? For type2 diabetics exercise can be at least as important as any drugs you take, second in importance only to diet.

• Posted

I had trouble with Metformin as well. Went onto slow release.

2 a day take them together after supper.

No more problems with them.

Local chemist also said that if you have an infection that will raise your blood sugar.

Sarah

• Posted

If you are in the UK and Type 2 diabetic, you are given medication to lower your blood pressure to below 140/79, the 79 being the important measure. Your BP was extremely high. I know that some people suffer from "white coat syndrome" where their BP is much higher at the doctor or in hospital - I do. I have purchased a home monitoring kit and check mine regularly at home. If yours is consistently high at home, perhaps you should seek advice on lowering it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.