Type 2 diabetes mmol/l goes up and down

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on Mylan Metaform 850mg twice a day with Austell-Glimepride 2mg in the morning. My mmol/l in the morning is 6.4 and after eating 7.5. But when it is almost lunch time I test my levels and itbis back to 6. After 10 minutes it drops to 4.7 to 3.5. Why does it fluctuate like e that? Afternoons it will go to 8.3 mmol/l.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Some kinds of fluctuations are perfectly normal. If you exercise during the day, even walking a few blocks to work - or even across a long parking lot and up a few stairs - that can affect your levels. I don't know about the glimepiride , maybe that has direct effects XX hours after you take it?

I'm not clear just when you are saying it drops so low - is that still before eating or ten minutes after eating, or what?

In general metformin does not usually have dramatic effects like that, it works more over time and in combination with exercise.

• Posted

Hi:

The drug Glimepiride works by causing the pancreas to release insulin. I have never heard of this drug. But, forcing the pancreas to release insulin will cause a rapid lowering of blood glucose. This type of drug can cause swings in your blood glucose even low blood sugar with bad side effects. I don't take every drug my doctors prescribe. I want to be in charge of my treatment. I look up side effects and decide what to do. There are many new treatments for diabetes, but offer whopper of horrible side effects. It sounds like you are type 2. So am I. I choose to take Metformin ER 500mg ONLY as it has the least side effects and has been used for over 50 years. I have worked up to two doses per day slowly because if my glucose drops below 100 I get dizzy or headaches. This is because my glucose was high for a number of years and now it is much lower. The body gets use to higher levels.

If the Glimepiride is causing problems for you then you could break it in half and make sure you take your drugs with a larger meal and not on an empty stomach. Also, try to eat as healthy as you can. No more french fries, donuts, milkshakes and the like.

I remember a friend of mine that I worked with. He was diagnosed with type 2 and his doctor told him not to eat fruit because it had too much sugar. So, he would buy a double snowball cup cake and eat the whole thing. I tried to reason with him that he was only hurting himself. He ended up having his foot amputated.

This is no joke, take care of yourself and you will be much healthier and have less problems. Every day I make a quart of vegetable smoothie; carrots, apples, spinach, a little kale, celery is good, beets. Then every four hours I will pour some in a tall glass, add some fresh yogurt and water and stir smooth. Only vegetables have the potassium and mineral and vitamins your body need to function properly.

John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.