Type 2 diabetic/Itchy feet.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does any one else have this problem, My feet strart to itch when I am in bed, An its is driving me crazy, plus keeps me awake.

Does any one have a solution to this problem??

At my wits end.

Thank You.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It doesn't happen every night but sometimes I do have to scratch them but thank goodness it's not intense itching.  I've been diabetic for 20 years and in the last couple of years I've noticed that sometimes it looks as if I'm wearing a pair of pink slippers.  I pointed it out to the diabetic nurse and she just had a look and said Oh yes, they do look like slippers and that was all, nothing done about it.   It's probaby circulation problems but at least I have still got feeling in my feet.   Have you tried rubbing someting into them in case it's dry skin that is causing the itch?  I find E45 or even Vaseline to be good for softening the skin.  We have to be careful that the skin doesn't get too dry and then cracks and lets infection in but I must admit I don't follow all the instructions about inspecting and washing your feet every day but I should. I'm seeing the diabetic doctor later this month so will have to give my feet a good going over before I see her!  Sorry if this isn't much help.
    • Posted

Thank you spindles, thats one thing I do do, make sure my feet get plenty of cream to keep them soft. So that is not the problem.

Regards

• Posted

I found that Vaseline have made a moisturising spray that I use to spray my feet every morning before putting my socks on.  It seems to help keep my feet in good condition and a lot easier than bending down to my feet.

• Posted

Thank you for that info Christy. I will look in the shops for that product.
  • Posted

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy, and it's an absolute pain.

At the time you go for your next Diabetes check-up at your surgery I should mention the foot problem.

When I started with it they put me on a course of Gabapentin and when that disagreed with me they changed the medication to Pregabalin which worked fine for me.

• Posted

O.k. Thank you for your posting will mention it next time I go to my doctor.

• Posted

Just a thought Linda.  When you complained to the nurse she does not have the extensive knowledge that a doctor will have.  How about making an appointment with your doctor to speak about this problem.  If that is the only reason you are seeing him it shows that this is worrying you and if it is nothing to worry about he should put your mind at rest or he may be able to explain why this is happening.  Good luck
  • Posted

Hi Linda

I have diabetic neuropathy and it feels like thousands of pins in my feet most of the time. When I go to bed they drive me crazy and I find by putting a pair of loose fitting bed socks on it relieves the pain and itching. They somehow seem to come off during the night, but the problem has eased by then and doesn't wake me up. I also find that leaving them outside the covers can help as well. Good Luck

• Posted

Hi. Sue.

Yes I find putting my feetr out of the bed helps, think its because then they are cooler.

But wearing sock is a No No. It makes it worse, thinks its because my feet then get too hot.

Regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.