Type of Food

Posted , 8 users are following.

Morning to All, I have RA. I need for someone to please let me know what type of food to eat and NOT eat.

Lately, my joints having REALLY BEING flaring up especially in hands. And I know that I'm not probably eating right, so can someone please help me?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello. As far as I'm aware there isn't anything you shouldn't eat when you have RA. It's an idea to not put weight on as carrying excess weight can affect the knee joints. If you're underweight then ask your consultant to refer you to a dietitian.
  • Posted

Hi, my rheumatologist told me not to listen to anyone that tells me I should /should not eat any one particular food. He said that there is no evidence that cutting out a particular food improves RA symptoms or makes them worse. Just that if you feel better for cutting something out, if it works for you, then that's OK as everyone is different. The only thing I completely avoid as it interacts with my medication is grapefruit. I think anyone would benefit from a healthy well balanced diet as well as some gentle exercise if you can manage it. I try to walk every day for at least 30 mins and still working on the healthy eating to get my weight down. I'm sure it really helps. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi, I agree with the comments below my consultant has told me that there is no particular diet/foods that help with RA only to eat healthly and try to some excersise when possible. Good luck and hopefully you get sorted soon.
  • Posted

Hi.

I also agree with everyone and I have a nutritionist. His business, as far as I'm concerned, is help me supplement my diet with various things that offset some of the nasty side effects of the drugs I must take.

He is big on fish oil – as is everyone – or flax seed oil, and has suggested various supplements like spirulina which give a high intensity nutrient.

He has taken me largely off dairy products and reduced tomatoes and eggplant, but that's partly because of other symptoms I have. RA can exacerbate OA, so staying off the nightshade vegies is a good idea.

I eat a balanced healthy diet anyway, full of vegetables and fruit, and of course the friend is right who says losing weight is the first thing a person with RA wants to do to avoid damage to his/her joints.

• Posted

i dont think what you eat has anything to do with how you feel
    • Posted

I'd have to disagree with that as when I eat fattening/stodgy food that's exactly how I feel...fat and stodgy! When I eat lighter healthy stuff within days I feel so much better. Its such a battle not to comfort eat though but tonight I'm allowing myself a few chocs...as I was very good having salad for dinner. I'm just so weak!!
  • Posted

hello. I am currently on Gary Null's diet (for 2 weeks now).  He says 75% raw veg and 25% cooked.  I realized that I wasn't eating enough vegetables, especially raw, and when I do I miraculously have less pain.  He also recommends lots of fresh fruit, especially berries.  Green tea is also supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties (I drink decaf or matcha which is milder).  All seem to recommend fish oils.  Avoid nightshade and fried foods.  I just started a collagen-based joint supplement.  If it brings me relief I'll report on it;  I'm desperate to be pain-free and am trying a lot of things.  It's true that different people have different sensitivities, but the idea that what you eat has nothing to do with arthritis is ridiculous.  We have to be intelligent enough to look beyond drug-based therapies with their risks and do the hard work of eating right and food-sleuthing by trial and error for ouselves.
  • Posted

I have only recenlty come upon a great way to eat for my arthritis inflammation and joint pain.  I'm in the early stages of R.A. and have no deformities at this time, but do have the R.A. factor in my blood.  I am eating low carb high fat.  No sugar, no starch.   I have NO PAIN now.  I am able to walk with 2 replaced knees when I was unable to before trying this way to eat.  It seems sugar and gluten inflame the body when we are already inflamed.  So it made sense to me to cut out the sugar and starches.  I've found tremendous support on LCHF groups on FB.  I've also lost about a size in clothing, but to be able to walk and not take a motorized cart in a store is fantastic.  If you are interested, this is just good nutrition.  Good meats, good fats, and green leafy veggies.  No sugar, no starchy veggies and no bread, flour or grains.  It works!!   I'm having a problem with Candida, and it is a whopping one.  Have had a total hysterectomy in 2000 and this is the first time I've had this.  My OBGYN Dr. said it isn't food related but wearing too tight and warm clothing, which I have in bed.  Yeast loves warmth and heat so now wearing night shirts only to bed.  Just wondering if the R.A. is making this worse.  But as far as pain in my joints go, it has gone from me.  I will never go back to another way of eating, but I also know that my weight will come down and then will add some fruit to my diet, but not until I'm within 15 lbs. of goal weight.  You can google low carb high fat or "what is the science of low carb high fat"  eating online.  Follow, Jeff Volek and Dr. Eric Westman on youtube to get more info. Blessings.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.