Type of knee replacement - advice sought

Posted , 6 users are following.

Thank you for all the kind replies to my previous question, I'd appreciate your help with another one if you have the time for it.

Has any1 had or heard of 'Minimally Invasive' Total Knee Replacement surgery. From what I understand of it this is a preferable operation in that it is less drastic in tissue damage than the traditional method, & the recovery time is accordingly much faster. I'm a little mystified that the surgeon that is booked for me didn't mention its existence in the pre-op. briefing we had?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi A.B.

i had minimally invasive total knee replacement in St. Helena California at the Coon Institute. Dr. Diana was awesome and the difference is that they do not cut the main tendon/muscle that runs from the thigh to the calf in the front of the leg. With this not being cut the recovery is less and there is less to heal. They manage to work around it. I had a long recovery because I also have other health issues that impair my healing. Anti phospholipid syndrome and Stage 4 cirhossis. But I did not too bad and it is now a year and I would not have anything but the minimally invasive done.

• Posted

What I had heard about was a procedure where a type of cartilage is inserted between the joint. My doctor had a scan done on me that examined the bone marrow. Unfortunately I was not a candidate for this, which was disappointing since I was told it only required three days off work. It was explained that it was an alternative to TKR. I don't know if this is what you are referencing though.
  • Posted

AsI understand it, it is done from the side instead of over the top of the knee.  i don't think many surgeons are using the system yet . . it obviously involves a learning curve, and most are sticking with the tired and tested system.  You would probably need to find a different surgeon who did the minimally invasive op instead of the traditional one.  if your surgeon didn't mention it, I imagine he doesn't do it.  As far as i have seen from internet articles, it is still rather innovative, but I must say I do like the idea of less damage to tendons and nerves which it involves. Eight months on, i still hae quite bad nerve problemsin the thigh . . due I think to the tourniquet.  Not sure if the minimally invasive system would have made any difference to this though . . but certainly muscles would not have been so hard to recover.
    • Posted

Oh dear, tried and tested. . .when will i learn to read it through BEFORE I hit send. . . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.