Type of operation

Posted , 5 users are following.

My son has gallstones and also suffers from anxiety. He won't go for the operation as he is too scared to have a general anaesthetic. Is the operation ever done with a local anaesthetic?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, no.  This is major surgery.  Please ask your son to consider getting help for his anxiety.  Gallstones don't get better and neither do bad gallbladders.  They can become infected and worse.  Not removing a bad gallbladder can affect the adjacent organs, including the pancreas and liver.  It's like the old saying, "Deal with it, or it will deal with you." Sounds simplistic, I know, but it's true.  

It is understandable to be afraid, but not doing something that could have major health consequences because you're afraid indicates to me that he doesn't fully understand the situation.  You must be very worried for him.  

• Posted

No it's only general . It's a major surgery. I had it done. It's a relatively easy surgery very few complications. Tell our son it will be ok. If he as anxiety the Drs will give him something to relax him. Have it done don't suffer ok. Good Luck.

• Posted

Her own.

let me put this another way ,for you son to read !

he will have the surgery ,because if it ends up like mine has , he will have no choice but be in a very serious life and death situation with an infected and we talk infected with a gallbladder that turns out to , full of puss as mine was , nice !

and gangrene as mine was .

and I'm every lucky to be alive .

allthough still feeling unwell nearly 5 weeks later due I guess to how bad mine was.

so basically what he needs to understand is the point will come where he will become so ill ,like dying.

that he will have no say in the matter even if he refuses surgery at that point thr docs in a and e are allowed to make the decision without his consent if your in the uk and that's what they will do.

having it out in that way in those circumstances increases all number of risks tenfold.

no one was more frightened than me and I have extreme anxiety but the opp itself even in my state and I was in a state !

i was put under at 6:30pm and woke up at 7:50pm all done !

i will never be scared of general anaesthetic again.

try to make him see sense , I completely understand what he's going through I was the same.

• Posted

Sometimes we just have no choice and this is one of those horrible times unfortunately.

i fear for him because I know he will not go and do it as I was the same I've been so ill for 3 years and if I never had mine out near 5 weeks ago I would be dead now for sure ,it gets that serious.

and when it does and your that ill and in that amount of pain !

something changes and the pain and confusion becomes even stronger than the anxiety ?

• Posted

Yes, you're right Mrsoscared ..... the pain becomes so intense that all thoughts of anxiety go out the window - you just want the issue dealt with.

• Posted

So true and then you will find yourself asking yourself why have I nearly killed my self as well as sent myself half mad when in the end I've had no choice anyway lol

how stupid do I feel ?

• Posted

Firstly, I'm so sorry your son has gallstones,it can become incredibly painful.   Secondly, I'm not sure they would do this operation without anaesthetic; I had keyhole surgery and I had anaesthetic.  I understand where your son is coming from, but from my perspective (and from many others' as well) the staff in the operating theatre are so good at putting you at your ease.  One minute I was chatting with them, and the next I woke up in the recovery room.  I was allowed home that day as were the others that day.  Best wishes to your son.

• Posted

I agree with you. The staff totally put me at ease. Laughing and talking to me was a anxiety help. Your son will be ok . please son do it for your livelihood. I had the surgery. No problems at all. Hope you have it done. Believe me you will be happy not hurting like you are. Please do it for us .😍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.