type of surgery?

Posted , 5 users are following.

i will be having surgery at some point this year to repair rectocele prolapse, my next appt with consultant is end of march, ive had a pessary ring fitted to keep everything in place, but what i've read on some posts which im really not looking forward too is the way the surgery is done. do they really cut you from errr hole to hole to fix it? or can it be done vaginally? any help will be appreciated 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello Lilbella

I have had boh a anerior and posteros repair in December 2014 and both were done at the same time ad done vaginally.  So do not worry yes it can be done without being cut from one side to the other.  If you want to know any further information please ask as I am happy to answer.  Good luck with the op.

• Posted

thanx for the reassurance, i think its finally hitting home that i have to have this done, not used to any help so the time i have to rest after having surgery will be very hard for me as i have a nearly 7 year old, a 5 year old and a 21 month old, ive got another stone to lose b4 i have the surgery but lost 3 stone before i saw the consultant off me own back x
    • Posted

Hi Lilbella

Beleive me you wil certainly need to have people help you after the operation.  You will not be able to do the things that you are probably so used to doing everyday  for sometime.  Also you will find that you will need to have plenty of rest and sleep will certainly be something that you will find you are doing more in the early stages after the op. Well done on the weijt loss so far.  I bet you are feeling much better with the result so far. Please feel free to ask anything further. x

• Posted

i've already pre warned my husband, and will ask my dad nearer the time to help me taking my kids to school and picking them up if my mam or husband are at work x
    • Posted

That is good.  You will also need help with the housework too as that will be a no , no for a few weeks. I am 4.5 weeks post op and only just beginning to get over the tiredness. I have returned to work on ammended duties but have to say I am tired by the end of my working day. x
    • Posted

thanx very much for your comments, they are really appreciated xx

• Posted

Hi lilbella,

I had bladder surgery done last Feb in the format of a TVT repair and also pelvic floor repair.  The TVT has been successful and I no longer have leakage butbmy bladder has now fallen back down to worse than what it was before surgery.  I am now having problems with my back end and i am seeing the colerectal consultant on 3 Feb as well as my gynae consultant 2 weeks later.  I noticed you said you have had a pessary fitted, this is what I may have to consider as they don't know what they are going to hold my bladder back in place with now as the mesh has been banned.  would you recommend this and have you had any problems?

• Posted

only problem i had with pessary was it fell out the next day of it being fitted, i had a horrible sickness bug and it fell out from the force of me being sick, i had another one fitted about 3 weeks later as they only did the pessary clinic on a friday. it doesn't hurt i am weeing better since having it fitted, cant feel it either x
  • Posted

Hi lilbella, I had an anterior and posterior repair, with a tightening of a 'loose perineum', done 15 months ago and I have to tell you that despite being petrified I plucked up the courage and had it done. I have to tell you that I am absolutely delighted with the results. I am soo pleased I didn't cancel the surgery. Everything has turned out to be so much better than I could have ever have dreamed of. By the way I am no spring chicken. I was 69 at the time of my op with a new husband 8 years younger than myself, so I was still, and still is, enjoying a full sex life. The operation does require you to rest, rest, rest for at least 10 weeks, so as others have stated you will certainly need help with the kids, housework, shopping and so forth. Do research on the web to find out all you can about the procedure and the do's and dont's which will follow - of which there are many. On youtube too there are graphic videos if you would like to watch. Anyway, after the procedure you if you do as you are told and sleep and rest as much as you can too; don't lift heavy anything heavier than a full kettle during that recovery time (nor children), everything will turn out great.  Congratulations on your weight loss so far and keep up the good work. Honestly, you are going to feel so good after all this is over, you'll wish you'd had it done sooner. For me everything is wonderful in every way. There's lots of advice on this forum page so do look back and read a lot of past postings - lots are mine. There you can find out from others, what to expect - and there are some scary ones but many positive ones too. You have to remember that everyone's experience is different. But if you listen to this wise 'old bird' go for it gal! You're still only young still and this'll make you feel like a brand new woman. Ooh before I go, don't forget to write down any questions you might have before you see your consultant - it doesn't matter how silly you think it sounds. Good luck and best wishes. LadyPink
    • Posted

thanx very much for your comments also, i'm only 37, will be 38 this may, ive had 3 large babies 9lb 5oz, 10lb 2oz and last one 10lb  10.5oz and she was out in 26 minutes !! i started bootcamp when i started to lose weight to tone up and after my second session something didnt feel right which is when i found out about my prolapse, i will be resting as much as i can and soon will be converting my youngests cot to a cot bed so i dont have to lift her out of it, i do have questions set in my mind so like you said i think i will write them down xx
  • Posted

Hi Lilbella, I had a anterior retocele repair 5 weeks ago. I must say the surgery and recovery has been fine. Not really suffered any pain afterwards just a mild aching. The worst thing is not being able to do daily task, still not back to doing any heavy daily chores and rest a lot still. I would say the surgery is fine Its not as bad as I had thought, so I would say if you need the surgery then go for it. My worst fear now is hoping it's been successful, having my 6 weeks check up next Thursday so fingers crossed. The worst bit for me has not been the operation but not knowing how things should feel afterwards.
    • Posted

thanx for your comments also, they are putting me at ease slightly x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.