Typical bloke

Posted , 3 users are following.

76 and embarrassed in the house but wife very understanding and compassionate, but if course I hate my situation.

Now started to bed wet - BUT not aware of it when it's happening. The only clue is when waking up I can smell the sheet. Luckily we have a king size and because of other problems following recovery from prostate cancer I have a soaker sheet under my half of the bed sheet which protects the mattress etc.

Previously I would be woken with the sensation and either dash to the loo or have to change the sheets on the spot.

I am now contemplating protection products but will be discussing the prob with the surgery next week as I have last week been told I am diabetic and booked in for a full on discussion on that.

Luckily. so far, I am in control when out and about.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am diabetic and have problems with my bladder control due to this and some nerve damage in the area. I wet the bed most nights and have poor control during the day. I wear nappies and plastic pants at night and have a soaker pad under me too. I wear pads during theday. My wife is brilliant and doesn't see it as a big deal. 

Dealt with properly incontinence is just a minor hindrance.

• Posted

Thanks mate. I have had several blood test lately following a stroke just over a year ago and the last one showed the diabetic threat.

I have ordered Tena pads from Boots initially as a night time try out. Hope that works.

We are both depressed with the surrent happenings and trying to get on with life.

• Posted

Your Doctor shouldrefer you to the NHS Continence service. You are entitled to see them. I saw a continence nurse and she was so helpfull. Once you have been assesed by the continence service you will be supplied any pads you require free of charge from the NHS. I get mine delivered to my door every three months. 

Being diabetic will almost certainly help with your assesment. Obviously better if it can be cured but in some cases like mine nothing can be done so it is a case of managing it best you can. 

• Posted

Thanks again. When initially discharged after prostate removal I was referred to them and got superb help but having conquered the after effects with muscle exercises not long after I cancelled the deliveries . That was about six years back. Have now asked my surgery for a reference in the meantime.

Sorry to hear of your situation, hope it improves.

• Posted

Boots delivery arrived early this morning. Huge carton with a small pack inside of 12 nappies, how stupid?

Will start wearing them tonight. Assuming no p*ss and leakage they can be re-worn?

Waiting for surgery to call back about incontinece nurse appointment.

• Posted

My GP phoned me after I left a message to see an incontinence nurse. Once we established it was urine and my concerns he said the PSA should be checked which will happen on Friday when I see a nurse about my ondet of diabetes.

He noted to the last oncologist letter noting I had been disharged.

I am wearing the Boots Tena nappies nightly but change them after a week of dryness, So the big pack will last me until I see the incontinence nurse.

• Posted

Nurse visit yesterday, nice local lady. I am not incontinent, just a few accidents but need to be careful and control things which I am doing. Talked diet/fluids. She said drink more water which I must admit scared me when I first starting wetting and eased down on it. However with my dry eyes things I am now doing the regulation.

She offered me some sample net pants and a slip to go inside,smaller than the Tena I am wearing now, but I don't have a prob with them. She said not to wear the same one every night as I am doing, just for a week then dump them, but as I check them for dampness and odour I think I will carry on.

I am not in a bad enough way to get a prescription for them.

I know I am controlling daily using the Kegels exercise and can feel the urgency, it's just the odd very occasional overnight and unknown soak pee which alerted me.

• Posted

No overnight bed pees and the occasional visit to loo at night, so not too bad at all, but last Monday I wanted to fart and it felt wrong so sat on the loo and all I passed was clear liquid. Then about an hour later the same again. I was afraid to let go wind. I had 3 pints of ale in the evening at the pub but that's usual for me on Mondays and haven't had this worry before or since. Maybe it's the beer, but once again it's the same drinks once a week but never that worry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.