Typical PR- 3rd Month

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, i had PR for three months now, i had undergone all the possible tests, seen three doctors but still couldn’t figure out what it is.

First month- When I first visited the GP I had two little red spots and one big dark faded scaly patch on my back. I was told it was Tinea Corposis and was given oral and antibiotic cream. The red bumps became worse and inflamed in a week after using the prescribed cream so i had to stop and visit the same doctor again. This time she thought it was Gutatte Psoriasis and ordered some blood work and changed the cream to topic cortisone. This reduced the inflammation but the rash started to spread all over my chest, back, abdomen, arms and legs. All blood work was normal. There was no fungal/bacterial infection triggered.

Second Month- I decided to visit a dermatologist and the doctor immediately diagnosed it as PR but maybe she wasn’t sure so suggested a biopsy on the same day. And I was completely ok with that thinking I would get the right treatment and would try anything to get rid of this. I was hoping it was not Psoriasis. I visited her after two weeks and the lab result say it is not Guttate Psoriasis or PR but confirmed it was Acute dermatitis but the weird thing is that doctor was not convinced with the results and still thinks it is only PR because the patches were not itchy or painful. She prescribed a normal rash cream and gentle skin care products. By the end of 2 month, old spots started fading away leaving a scaly skin but new spots in oval shaped started to appear every day.

Third Month- I had to see another doctor again who is very well known dermatologist in the country. She looked at my previous lab results and said the same thing that it could be a typical PR and not dermatitis and asked me to give one more month to see if it gets any better because it would take three months to get out of system or she would order one more biopsy on 15th of next month. She prescribed a spray instead of cream, it was much easier to use and I hardly used 2 or 3 times and now I see all the rash is gone leaving dark sports on my body but still have a scaly skin spots here and there on my trunk which is getting better after using Amalectin.

I am at the end of my 3rd month period and I saw new spots today slight inflamed after many days I swam for 2 hours. This time it looks like the PR is back again. I don’t know if it’s because of chlorine my skin was irritated or second PR? I am still continuing to use the daily moisturizer lotion and hope it gets better.

During the healing process of PR, does anyone have scaly skin on the rash after fading away?

I heard the rash would take 3- 5 months. Anyone had more than 3 months?

Any suggestion are welcome.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Sorry to hear that that must be awful. I had it for 5 weeks Defo pityriasis Rosea. I used t-gel shampoo and cream throughout the day but not night and the t-gel really cleared it up fast and stopped the itching

• Posted

I'm about 7 weeks in. I noticed around week 4 that swimming every day was making my skin waaaay worse - super dry and itchy!!! Since I've stopped going in the pool and started soaking up some serious sum (two 15-minute sessions daily), the rash seems to be diminishing slowly.

• Posted

i had it for 4/5 months. the dermatologist none of his patients have had PR more than once. mine was never itchy or painful....the surface of the skin was flat and only in the last stages when it it became thick scales (could peel off huge scales) that u could feel the difference in skin texture between skin with PR and the bit of skin not affected..Mine was the typical christmas tree pattern down my back (towards end whole body affected from shoulders down...including areolas) .Still not sure what got rid of rid (at time applied cortico steroid cream  and also on steroid tablets for another ailment, and went on transatlantic cruise..so 7 days of unpolluted air)
  • Posted

I got mine due to stress and very low immune system. I noticed the rash first in the shower on my tummy. Next day it was really itchy and then it came out all over. It was so dry and like torture. Went to the docs who said straight away it was PR because of the herald patch I had. She gave me cream but it didn't stop itching and it was getting worse. I read articles on line and as I was off work I showered in cool water about 6 times a day with head and shoulders shampoo first but then t-gel which would dry it up so much. I then put Aveeno cream all over but before bed I would just shower with t-gel, if I put cream on it was just so itchy in the night because of the heat too so left it dry so I was able to sleep. E45 emollient bath oil helped too but only through the day not at night. Started going on the sunbed and after a few sessions I could really notice it is diminishing. It was like nothing I've ever had before and was glad to read you don't usually get it twice. That was about 4 months ago now but still struggling with my immune system and keep catching cold after cold even with tablets and vitamins and healthy eating etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.