Uc

Posted , 4 users are following.

If you are claiming sick on uc they say it takes 12 to 13wks to be assessed will I still get payment before that time ie rent ect if this is my first time claiming uc I'm on esa at moment sorry I'm worried sick

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

You say you're claiming ESA at the moment. Is this New style ESA (contributions based)? i'm assuming it is, otherwise your ESA would have stopped and this would have transferred to UC.

Are you in a group for ESA, or on assessment rate? If in a group, which group are you in?

• Posted

May i also ask why you claimed UC?

• Posted

I'm not claiming uc at moment but when I'm transfered I would be claiming esa and saw on Internet that there is a 12 to 13wks assessment wait I was wondering if they don't pay my rent and my payment while I'm waiting for assessment I'm just so worried

• Posted

You really shouldn't take any notice of what you read on the internet because alot of the time it will be incorrect or you won't understand it. What you've read is not correct. I have advised you about this quite sometime ago, having looked back at your previous posts.

Managed migration hasn't started yet but when it does, which is next year for some but very likely a few years away for a lot of people, unless a change of circumstances prompts a move. Your ESA will stop but whatever group you're in will be honoured in UC. There's no assessment period because you're already in a group.

You'll have a 2 week run on of housing benefit, then that will also stop. There's a 5 week wait for your first UC payment. Then once payments start you'll receive all your money in one monthly payment, you'll also receive transitional support protection so you won't be any worse off under UC.

As i advised quite sometime ago, please stop worrying about it, for now at least.

• Posted

Hello Denise,

Can you please explain why there is a 5 week wait for people already on ESA? We are already in two weeks of arrears. So does that mean we will be paid that 2 weeks of back money before we get paid Universal Credit?

Because if we are not paid that 2 weeks back then we are actually in 7 weeks of arrears. Something I think the DWP have totally missed out and hope we don't notice. And Housing Benefit is also paid in 2 weeks of arrears.

• Posted

@Worriedjoe

There's 5 week week because UC pays monthly in arrears and payment goes into your bank 7 days after your assessment period ends, this wait applies to everyone, regardless of whether you claim ESA or not.

Your ESA entitlement ends the day you claim UC IF your ESA is Income Related. If any part of it is Contributions based you'll continue to paid this BUT it'll be deducted in full from your UC entitlement each month.

Once you've claimed UC any money you receive after this date will be deducted from your UC first payment but the deductions will only apply for the days after your UC claim started.

Housing benefit continues for a further 2 weeks after your UC starts and then it's transferred to UC. If you rent from social housing you won't need a tenancy agree to claim the housing element but if you rent privately you'll need the tenancy agreement to be able to claim it. Do be aware also that the housing element of UC has slightly different rules for non dependent deductions than housing benefit has, if this applies to you.

When you claim UC you can request an advance payment to see you through the 5 week wait but this will need to be repaid back from future UC payments.

If you're in a group for ESA then this award will be honoured in UC.

On the other hand, if you're claiming the severe disability premium in with ESA or housing benefit then you're excluded from claiming UC until at least 16th January 2021.

• Posted

Thank you for you reply Denise. There is a lot of information. It is very helpful. But I am wanting to know what happens to the 2 weeks of arrears that the DWP owe everyone on benefits. When will they pay this back? I will not be borrowing from the DWP. I am o n income related ESA, SPD. When I came on benefits, I was paid one week in arrears. A few years ago they made this 2 weeks in arrears. Every time they do this I don't get paid and have to fend for myself.

I don't think non dependent deductions will affect me. Although that subject interests me. Knowing the DWP it won't be in our favour. Because of the strict DWP rules I can never live with anyone. Luckily I am not the marrying kind. I am a private tenant, due to the council not having enough accommadation. Unless people are sleeping on the streets they are not a priority here. Many are tonight sleeping under car ramps and nooks and crannies in freezing temperatures of minus one in my town centre. It puts the fear of god into me.

I have been praying for the Universal Credit to be scrapped before I am forced to claim it. Nice to know I have another year.

• Posted

As you're claiming the SDP then you are excluded from claiming UC until at least January 2021. It could be as late as 2023 when we are invited to apply so my advice is not to worry about it yet because there's nothing to worry about.

ESA has always been paid 2 weeks in arrears. Housing benefit is also paid in arrears. Carers allowance if paid monthly, is paid 3 weeks in arrears and 1 week in advance.

You're misunderstanding UC and you won't lose out on any money when you do eventually move across. I'm not sure what you mean by the 2 weeks of arrears because there won't be any arrears or missed payments.

Those claiming PIP and or Support Group/LCWRA are excluded from non dependent deductions and the benefit cap.

When we do eventually move across to UC there will be a payment protection in place that will mean we won't be any worse off than we are now.

I always put these things out of my head until i know there's something to worry about. If i worried then i'd have even less sleep than i do now.

• Posted

@Mishy1962,

My reply was to worriedjoe and not for you.

SDP is severe disability premium paid in with your ESA if you live alone and no one claims carers allowance for looking after you but you must also be claiming PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care.

• Posted

Sorry I forgot. I was one week in arrears on Income Support. Then the DWP changed it to two weeks in arrears. Then Income Support was changed to ESA. I am currently paid two weeks in arrears. When I migrant to Universal Credit another 5 weeks of arrears are added. Hence 7 weeks of arrears. Because they don't pay back the two week arrears, and then you have to wait another 5 weeks, that equals 7 weeks of arrears.

I hope you now understand what I mean? At no point have I ever been paid back the two week of arrears I am currently in. The only way for there not to be the original two weeks of arrears is for the DWP to deduct it from the UC waiting period. So 5 week wait becomes a 3 week wait. Just 3 week of arrears.

I have Aspergers Syndrome and I when it comes to money owed by the DWP, I have a long memory. My short term memory is terrible. I tend to baffle people. But I don't intend to.

• Posted

Income support has always been a weekly benefit, paid fortnightly and has always been paid in arrears. The reason i know this is because i used to claim Income support when my children were small and that was quite sometime ago.

Sorry but you're thoughts on this whole process is completely incorrect. As i previously advised, you won't be left out of pocket when you do eventually claim UC, which of course is quite sometime in the future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.