UC and joint pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, fairly new to this stuff; I reckon I've had colitis for years but only confirmed in October and then confirmed my whole colon was affected in January.

I started off great on pentasa but just coming to the end of a flare up which started just before Xmas (on steriods twice)

I can cope with everything except the joint pain.

It happened in November and now its starting again, my big due knuckle is enlarged, red and throbbing and sore as anything and now my ankle on the same foot has started to swell up, my GP said next time it happens he would prescribe steriods, I told my consultant this and he basically said my GP was talking crap.

Last time this happened I was literally in agony for more than two weeks and was told not to touch pain killers or anti inflams, any advice folks? Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Could it be gout? I don't have that, but some friends do. May be totally unrelated to uc.
  • Posted

Aye, suspected but it can't be confirmed as this can happen with UC.

Ive been told my uric acid levels are high.

Either way im looking for something to relieve/reduce the pain!

• Posted

I've had problems with uric acid kidney stones in the past. Terrible pain in passing them and a couple of years ago I was going to have surgery to have them removed. By the way, they don't show on X-rays and you need a CT scan or MRI to confirm). My kidney doctor put me on 4 x 200 mg Sodium Bicaronate tablets twice a day. When I went for my pre-op CT scan the stones had dissolved.

I've been taking that dosage ever since and have had no stones. You don't need a prescription to get it. It comes in 500 pill bottles. You can also cheque your urine Ph which will confirm your urine acidity level. Just talk to you pharmacist if you doctor doesn't help. But you might suggest this treatment to him.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.