UC Meds / trial and error

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Tina, my daughter was diagnosed with UC 2 1/2 yrs ago at age 15..after colonoscopy was put on   prednisolone.  Taking the prednisoline early in the morning helps as this is when your body naturally makes steroids apparently.  (You probably already know this but we found it helped)  The steroids helped initially but after a relapse she  was put on azathiaprine and then Infliximab. Infliximab stopped the symptoms within 48 hrs and she has been in good health generally.  Like most meds, they do have side effects.  These medications carry

risks.  However, these are risks you have to weigh up should you need these stronger medications. Infliximab is an expensive medication and drs try the other meds first to see if they work. It's better this way even though it means a lot of trial and error. However, stronger meds are available should you need them.  I think the mindfulness course will be very good for you, my daughter struggled with the ups and downs also, missed a lot of school during her GSCE years. It would have been good for her had it been available. Keep positive, there is light at the end of the tunnel.  I hope this helps.  All the best smile

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.