Uceris (Budesonide) withdrawal symptoms...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm recently diagnosed with moderate ulcerative colitis and GI prescrbed Uceris for 8 weeks. Said that there were no side effects since no withdrawal. No other meds taken.

I tried to taper Uceris and believe it is having strong systemic effects on me. My doctor said I should be able to taper every other day but I could not even last 36 hours. At the 36th hours my hands started to shake and I felt stomach pains.  I took the pill and during the next 2 hours my hyperness and anxiety increased, I became very irritable and couldn't focus, my chest tightened, had sweats/chills. I believe my body finally calmed down after 2.5 hours from taking the pill bc only then was the drug absorbed into my system.  The next few days I took the Uceris daily, but at different times of day (7 pm, 5pm, 1:00pm).  I continued to experience small waves of these effects, and only returned to feeling normal once I was back to taking it in the morning (what I had done for 7 weeks prior).

My doctor is skeptical that these are withdrawal symptoms, while another suggested I take Entocort instead and taper from 3 pills (equivalent 9 mg Uceris), to 2 pills, and then 1.  The idea is that they are both budesonide, but different coatings.  Has anyone successfully used Entocort to taper Uceris?  Would the systemic affects of each be the same even though Entocort releases higher up in the GI? Would you need Prednisone to balance when tapering??

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Wondering what you wound up doing and how you got off the Uceris. I'm in the same situation. I'm having withdrawal symptoms, but there's not way to slowly reduce the dose. Dr wants to move me to prednisone to taper. But I HATE prednisone... What worked for you?

• Posted

I too am in a similar boat as both of you and am wondering what you did.  Everytime I try to come off Uceris I flare.  I cannot do the 3mgs because the instant release of the med causes too many problems like increased BP, etc.  

Hope to hear from you both and hope u are well now - I just stumbled upon this post and just noticed it’s like 2 yrs old??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.