UFE date next week

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, guys

I am hoping someone can offer advice I am due to have my UFE procedure in the next couple of days. As well as being petrified am concerned as there is a good probability I am going to be on my period so am very anxious knowing how heavy I bleed.

At the moment by uterus is even more swollen as it usually is pre menstrual I literally can hardly move feel like am carrying a sack of bricks in my stomach. It's really uncomfortable. It effects my breathing it's impossible to lye on my back without feeling my lungs organs are being squashed.

However the worst of this feeling goes when I come on my period.

I am just concerned about bleeding everywhere while I have lie there having the procedure on average i go through a super tampon and thick night towel every half hour if an extremely heavy every 10 to 15 minutes.

Am worried they won't be able to do it I really don't want it delayed am so tired of these fibriods.

My question is has anyone had the UFE procedure while on a period? Will it have any effect on its effectiveness to work ?

Hopeful someone can answer my questions.

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi. That sounds dreadful that you are so uncomfortable.  I have small fibroids which caused me heavy periods. I use tranexamic acid at the time of my period and it reduces the blood loss. This has worked for the last 4 periods. It doesn't stop the blood but I have heard it does for some people.

I would ask your surgeon or practice nurse/ward sister if this is something you could try. I'm sure they will have had to deal with this before so ask their advice.

Good luck with the procedure. I'm sure it will be worth it. Try not to worry and make sure to rest after x

• Posted

Hi Emma. I had the same concern when I went for my UFE 2 weeks ago. I called my doctor and was assured that it wouldn't be a problem. In the end, I didn't have my period during the procedure (I got it 2 days after). However, I did see that I was properly draped. Since the incision is near the groin area, it shouldn't affect the actual procedure. Take some pads with you and maybe larger sized underwear than you would normally wear just for comfort sake.

The period I had right after the procedure was the lightest bleeding I had ever had (what a relief!). I just wrote a long detailed post about my experience that you can read if you like. 

Best of luck with your procedure. 

• Posted

My period came 2 days after my surgery and it was really heavy. I would suggest speaking with your doctor about your concerns prior to your surgery. Also, if your able to get a few bed pads from the hospital take them up on that offer. I ended up taking 1 wish I had taken more as I purchased a pack from Amazon . They come in handy when laying on your bed at home. Good luck
  • Posted

Thanks for the reply ladies i have had my pre op today and my dr has put a lot of my worries away. She said i could take some tranexamic acid if a wanted too which I have in my house.

Just hope this procedure works for me I really do feel fed up and look as if am about to pop.

• Posted

Thank you Ayky

Can I just ask did you have sadation ?

I've asked for it so my Drs prescribing it in case i need it but she said I probably won't need it.

• Posted

Hi Emma,

you poor thing! I can completely identify with your concern but you don't need to worry - I was on my period on Tuesday 4/3/17 when I had UFE done in Dublin. The good news is that hospitals are used to blood and mess!

I have two huge fibroids 13cm and 8cm and look six months pregnant at 53! Family history of very late menopause so chose UFE. Don't like losing major organs unless essential. I took Arnica before the op so no bruising. Op was uneventful, with sedative. I felt a bit like a toasted sandwich on the X-ray machine! Am now on day five post- op: I stopped using the morphine pump 12 hours post op and moved to paracetamol. Have no pain, just mild flu-like symptoms, very tired and feverish so spending most days in bed, with little sorties to cook meals and do s few chores. Hope to be back to normal next week.

All the best to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.