UFE experience with larger fibroids

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi ladies,

I've been reading your stories for a while and I want to thank you because you've all been super helpful.

I'm scheduled for UFE in about a month and I'm extremely nervous after reading some of your experiences.

I'm 36 years old, no children (still not sure) and I have two fibroids, one about 9cm and another 7cm. My issue is overall pain, pressure and discomfort. The fibroids are pressing on both my bladder and colon so as you can imagine, I'm having lots of fun.

I'm wondering if any of you other ladies with a similar situation have had UFE and how successful it was in shrinking your fibroids and relieving your symptoms? Also, how painful was recovery and how long did it take for you to feel better?

Thanks again for all of your help. It helps to know I'm not alone in all this.

Jess

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Jess, I am in such a similar situation to you! 34 yo, wanted kids but now who knows...2 Large fibroids, dominant one was 11cm, and had UFE back in August 2018. Everyone told me there were risks with both procedures but what really got me is the fact that with myomectamy, you are going through such an invasive surgery where they literally rip apart the fibroids from your uterus, and overall it is a bandaid fix because the blood supply is still there where they can simply grow right back as soon as 2-3 years after the myo! Don't get me wrong, UFE also has consequences especially if you still want to try to get pregnant - I am married and it is such a burdon honestly in all aspects of life. I always wanted kids, but quite frankly would have wanted that in my 20's! My husband waited 6 years to propose, so I got married at 31 and then traveled to Zika infected locations so all that delayed the process significantly = plus financially we cannot afford it and have zero help! So it's like... yes, in a perfect world I want children, but reality is different - my husband wants them and I feel so old and tired and not energetic. So I had it in August, then foul smelling discharge for 2 months Dec-January and then NO FIBROID EXPULSION but the discharge just stopped one day. Now I have to plea for an MRI to see what's up.

Let me know how you are and how things turn out for you!

• Posted

hello i just read you message how would you rate the result after UFE do you think is was a better outcome to a mymectomy and about having children i have heard of cases of successful UFE that had children afterwards so am not sure cause am booked for UFE as well just because is less invasive and at the recovery rate is faster but i still want more children... but living with this useless things is a headache.

• Posted

Thank you so much. I know everyone is different but i like to be prepared and know what to expected. Everything online makes it seem like this is no big deal but the reality from reading your ladies' stories is that the side effects of the procedure go on several months! still like you said, sounds like a better option than myomectomy. Don't discount having children! My gyn tried to scare me from having ufe saying that i couldn't have children after but I've read a lot saying that this is the. She even tried to pressure me into making a decision about having kids at my appt to see if i had fibroids and freezing my eggs when all i really wanted was relief from these these terrible things. She's a highly rated doctor but I have no idea what she was thinking. Anyway, thanks again and I will def post an update after.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.