Ugh

Posted , 8 users are following.

An outpatient letter just came through the letter box, from the local hospital.

It is to see the gastroenterology clinic or hepatology in my case. 10th of May.

This means blood tests, and not like the ones that they give you at the rehab clinics, last time they took six different lots of blood.

I usually end up getting poked and prodded like cattle as well. All rounded off with a telling off for my few months drinking last year.

Compared to this one, the one of the 28th April with the rehab doctor will be a complete joy, as it tends to go something like this.

How are you?

If you mean have I had a drink, then the answer is no.

How do you feel?

Fine, the medication seems to be working and no side effects.

Good, you're looking much better (actually, I don't look any different), so see you again in six weeks.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

A bit of pennance left to do with the clinic, eh? Well I hope you get a clean bill of health out of it! Are you taking anything to help you liver along, like milk thistle?
    • Posted

I can guarantee you, with the utmost confidence, that I will not get a clean bill of health. I do take things for my liver, but they are all prescribed.
    • Posted

Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed in hopes that the doctors find you in better condition than expected. 
    • Posted

That's a horrible feeling RHGB..hope you post your results
    • Posted

Do you know what? I have never ever been given a copy of my blood tests. I have had so many, but nobody has ever handed me a copy. I've already had two this year, one at the alcohol rehab, one with the dermatologist and this one with the hepatologist will be my third.

They used to take blood every three days through a cannula for the whole period I was in hospital. Then the hepatologist kept taking them when I was an outpatient, he even tested me for blood cancer, because I had weird readings and that was when he asked if I had had a blood transfusion (which I did have at the hospital, but nobody ever told me).

I found out by accident and had to write to him to ask for the results of the cancer test. Also my GP/Practice nurse did them quarterly and then every six months until recently. But no one has ever bothered to give me a copy and go through it with me.

I'm going to have to ask the hepatologist to arrange a follow up meeting, otherwise I will go to the first appointment, then get sent to the phlebotomist, he'll get the results and I'll never hear anything about it.

• Posted

I've never seen any results also. I've been in a lot of near death situations as I've said before. Never seen any results. Went to private hospital in Harrogate a few years ago, they never received any results from NHS hospital where I was admitted so ended up having to do it themselves 
    • Posted

Actually, that reminds me. Today I finally got around to completing my patient access forms, and sending it off, for both hospitals I was at.

I have requested complete records of my stay at both hospitals and details of all treatments. I'll be interested to see what hits my door mat in a month's time.

• Posted

You're asking the impossible again. But maybe you can do it. Good luck 
    • Posted

No, honestly, you can ask for them. I phoned up a couple of months ago and they said that I had to fill in the application form, which I have duly done, with covering letter and in the case of one hospital, a copy of my passport and council tax bill.

They are allowed to charge me up to £50 each hospital, if it takes some considerable time. I don't think the first one will charge, I was only there overnight, but I was at the second one nearly two months, in various wards.

Google 'obtaining hospital records uk' if you don't believe me. Surely by now PF, you know I always do my research.

• Posted

Tyou should get copies of your blood tests. I had a copy last time i asked a few yrs ago. Best of luck with all of your tests.Robin
    • Posted

Your GP has all your results, if u ask they will give them to you.
  • Posted

Fingers crossed it goes well.

Weird as I also got an important letter today from benefits dept...capability for work form to fill in. It's 10 pages. I will need a drink to dare look at it in depth, never mind filling it in! Just going to have to put I still drink alcoholics you so am unemployable. The thought of working freaks me out. I don't feel guilty about claiming this benefit as I worked full time and more for nearly 30 years including not having a maternity benefit as was self employed and needed to get back to my business. I don't feel guilty either as a paid way to much tax and vat for a small biz. I could go on but that would become a little political !!!

• Posted

Wow..I can't get over the similarities between you and i.

​I also applied for disability....and I feel the same way as you do.   I paid into this system for many, many years...and now that I am all scr*wed up I need it and i have been "fighting" for it for over a year...about 18 months.

​In the UK the recognize addiction or alcohol as a disability?  They used to in the US but no longer. Actually, in the US it is held against you.  I had to think very hard prior to putting I drank on my application because once they see that..its a tougher battle.

​But, I also had the information that  if I lied or tried to hide the fact that i drank...I would automatically be banned from any possibility of getting benefits.  They will award benefits to someone struggling with addiction but only if a Dr. says that even with the addiction removed...the person would still have the mental and physical disabilities that are on the claim.

• Posted

It's definitely different in the uk. Alcoholics get more money I'm told quite often in meetings, as they need to buy alcohol which can be expensive. Though I've not gone down that route to try and get more money. If they do make me have to look for work and I have to go for an interview, I will be honest and say I'm not reliable as I'm alcoholic. Who'd employ one of us? I would like to work again one day but I'm not ready for all that yet. Mainly being with people who screw you up and make you feel worthless. And drink make you drink again.. Xx
    • Posted

meant and make you drink again...
    • Posted

I feel the same way paper....I think the drinking has beat down any self esteem I had left. I have been out of work for 2 years.  I'm not lazy....I actually want to volunteer...but I am paralyzed with fear of not getting income and losing my home...that I have had for over 16 years....
    • Posted

I'm not sure how to advise you or give hope as I dont know how USA system works. When I was in the priory 4 years ago there were a couple of your guys from the military. They were funded to go in rehab whilst they were working in uk. The impression I got., and still do is that the USA put alcoholics in rehab, which they don't here now. But used to. Is that not the case now? 
    • Posted

The guy age 25 was an airman with a very good history in the military. He was abused by his father and had to take care of his alcoholic mum from age 13. He beat his best friend up in blackout. His friend nearly died. He can't remember anything. 

Hes now been sober since then. 

• Posted

Hi

don't  envy you filling in that 10 page form. I had the same form when applying for the old incapacity benefit.

Make sure you take a copy of the form before sending it. First time I didn't have copy and had to go for a medical. The doctor kept referring to what I'd said in the form and was trying to catch me out. That claim was refused.

however I was telling a friend who worked at DWP who suggested I use anxiety and depression as the main reason for not being able to work. Emphasise that your constant insomnia, along with other mental health conditions, sometimes becomes so bad that you have to resort to alcohol. However, point out that you are addressing this problem by telling your GP and using alcohol services and about naltrexone.

second claim was accepted!!  I'm shocked to hear alcoholics receive more money, I never knew that. Neither you or missssy should have any qualms about claiming what you're entitled to. We've all paid into a system for years to get the help we now need. Thousands get benefit and they've never paid a penny.

good luck with the form, and take a copy xx

• Posted

so true vicky...they tell us...not to be concerned about others as every case is different.  Well...its hard for me to see someone who didn't work a whole hell of alot and they make it thru the system..and I have to struggle.
    • Posted

Thank you Vickylou and everyone else who gave me advice. Will be in touch when I'm brave enough to fill this scary form in xx
    • Posted

Hi

dont put it off for too long. There used to be a time limit, 21 days from the day they sent you the form. Don't know if it's still the same, but I know I ended up putting it off until the last minute! 

As  a result I had to fill it in a rush, sure I omitted stuff. Then had to deliver it by hand 😞😞

i li was just like you, complete panic and anxiety about them sending me for jobs. At one interview with DWP they phoned and got me an interview with an hotel for a senior front of house/bar manager!! I told them it wasn't suitable, but they couldn't see why hahaha😄😄

• Posted

Senior house bar manager, the perfect job for you.lol !!

Yes this form has definately freaked me out. Will start filling it in before the due date. Given me an excuse to drink. Can't deal with these kind of things on my own. Will be needing advice from you folks when I do. 

I've felt rubbish and major depressed today. Managed to stay off the booze so I could drop my son off for work at 6. Drinking now. Took the pill correctly. Feeling very sad as I've fxxxxed my Easter weekend up. Last year I'd been nearly 4 months sober, was happy with partner. We went for a long dog walk in the dales. Though I remember driving back, seeing people enjoying a drink outside the pub and feeling envious. Will I ever be happy again ? X

• Posted

I feel sad every weekend now because I work sat sun and weds and see my friends out and about together on Facebook having fun drinking ect and I don't get invited because I've said no so many times because I have to be up at 4.30,hubby works nights and my kids do there own thing now
    • Posted

Aah bless...life can be so hard. Hope it goes peacefully for you. I should appreciate the fact that I don't have to work now xx
    • Posted

I fully empathise with you over feeling envious seeing people enjoying themselves sitting drinking outside pubs. OH and I went for a drink yesterday, just two. I could have managed a few more, but he was hungry! Went in tesco for a few bits and I suggested sharing a bottle of wine after walking home. What I really meant was I want a bottle of wine and you have some beer. Like a normal person, he didn't want any more, but I did. I always want more unfortunately.

am going to Spain next week, but can't get excited. Going with hubby, son, daughter in law and grandkids. None of them are great drinkers, but I'll be on cheap cava. Not sleeping well at all, don't know what's the matter with me. Just feel really anxious all the time, but after a few glasses of wine, the anxiety goes. Family lunch tomorrow, but I'll be sober. Just keep thinking I'll feel better the next day, but don't.

hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.