Ugly scar

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi all,

havent been on on here for some time after returning to work.

had my tkr 23 April 2015.    This site was my saviour after coming out of hospital, and I am at this point happy with my new knee in comparison with my pre op knee.

my problem at the moment is with my scar, I don't really mind the look of it as much as everybody else does, but lately it is itching and burning and stinging, and it is still red and wormy. 

All other  knees I see are thin and white after a time, iv read up on treatments for scars but wondered if anyone has had problem scars and if any treatments.

thank you.  

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am 16 months post op and my knee is still itching and burning and m scar is red and quite thick.  You can spend a fortune on treatments but I don't think they work.   It's dependent on your own skin, how you heal I think.   Don't worry too much about it.  
  • Posted

Have you tried rubbing in a good over the counter vit E OIL a couple of times a day. It not only softens but does some really good deep healing. Sounds like some of that nerve healing that takes so long is taking effect. The tkr is a gift that keeps on giving for a long time in so many different ways. Next will be the summer heat that could throw a little curve to the process. These things come and go but drive you bonkers when it happens
    • Posted

You are so right there!  The nerves are still healing too in my case.  They seem to settle for a while and then start up again!  I might try some Vit E myself as I used to use bio oil.   It's a long old process, healing, I think.
    • Posted

Hi OFG

thanks for your reply, good to see you are still here with your words of wisdom.

you saved my anxiety from reaching the roof after my tkr.  Hoping your knee is recovering after your many ops.

wishing you well, and I will get back to giving my knee some tlc probably been neglected with working. Will some vit e.   

thank you 

• Posted

I had my op Oct 2015. Scar at the bottom is nice and thin but then gets fatter and is still quite red/purple.(I call it my worm) Sometimes it stings, especially at night. Have been using bi-oil but hasn't made that much difference.  Due to have my left knee replacement on 13th April, it will be interesting to see what that scar will be like.
    • Posted

I had my first tkr 28th March 2015 my scar is exactly the same as yours but it doesn't sting I have used bio oil and e45 cream I had my second tkr a week ago so as you say will be interesting to see what this scar is like 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.