UK Air Pollution Feb 2016

Posted , 3 users are following.

Be aware:-

UK air pollution 'linked to 40,000 early deaths a year'

By Michelle Roberts

Health editor, BBC News online

Outdoor air pollution is contributing to about 40,000 early deaths a year in the UK, say the Royal Colleges of Physicians and of Paediatrics and Child Health.

They say diesel emissions have been poorly controlled.

And indoor air pollution has been overlooked.

Tobacco still poses the biggest indoor threat, but wood-burning stoves, cleaning products and air fresheners can contribute.

Mould and mildew in poorly ventilated rooms can also cause illness.

Read More here:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35629034

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I think there is less 'hype' about this 'scare story' than most. But I suspect not everyone is at risk, more likely particularly susceptible individuals.

I recently lost my partner to IPF (idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis), which I can easily believe was contributed to by her living near a major motorway and working in a major city centre (diesel fumes), smoking (tobacco), and she was over-keen on cleaning products and air-fresheners.

Horrible way to die, I can assure you.

• Posted

So sorry about the loss of your partner gbhall.  Not nice to watch someone die like that.

Likely those living in busy cities or industrial areas are at an increased risk.   But the indoor air pollution has always been something that lung patients know of or should be aware of.

It is recommended for those not living in a high pollution area to change the air in each room daily for around 20 minutes even during winter months but of course not at those times if a neighbour is burning wood etc outside, or running car engines as people sometime do.  In high pollen season its not advisable to have the windows open.  Also in high pollen season, when you return home from being out in it wash clothes and hair daily before sleeping so that the pollen debris isn't floating around in the house too much.

Its safer for the lungs to switch to more green eco products for cleaning house and clothes,   I don't use any aerosols myself but I will opt for pump action if the contents are relatively ok for the lungs.

Even dust in the home depletes air quality and of course those with pets need to vacuum more often to avoid a build up of pet dander, not to mention smokers, joss stick burners which are of course a big no no if you value your lungs and the quality of air inside the home.

• Posted

Dear gbhall

it's a terrible happening seeing someone you love & care for deteriate & not being ableto do anything to stop it happening & then lose them, I hope your getting support from family friends or other help & hope you have the strengh to get through each day.....God Bless

• Posted

Thank you Karen for your caring comments.  I would like to describe, for the benefit of others who may read this, how after the end of a terminal illness, you can find as a carer, that you actually have a certain relief that the dread and the stress is over.

For 4 years my partner and I were aware of the inevitable end, but she was very brave. We were together able - with a certain amount of forcefulness -  to persuade the NHS to do pretty well everything within it's power to give her alleviation. I also was able to do the things for her that helped her feel supported, like the cleaning, washing, shopping, cooking, personal grooming and so on to the standard she would always maintain herself. We could also maintain her in her familiar home right to the end.

She was terrified of her life ending with another collapsed lung, which is a  very distressing thing to suffer, but in the event, her passing was quite peaceful, as her heart simply failed. That helped me come to terms with it also.

• Posted

Evening Vee2 

I'm glad you bought the subject up about joss sticks & insence sticks I love the smell of! but wasn't sure if these were not good to burn,  I rarely use them anymore only once in a while, they are a bit messy- but did use to burn use them often! My Son who's 7 has asthma since 2 1/2  & I have copd stage 2 along with other long term health conditions, Well I won't be burning these again also I guess this applys to candles too Idon't like burning candles incase of accidents but I have a friend & one of my daughters who like to use candles........

would I be right  to  tell them not to use them anymore, what about cat litter when its soiled I keep telling a certain someone I know to clear out the litter box that has a lid on which the cat goes in & out off, & even opening the windows doesn't get rid of the smell it is rancid * I use to change the litter a long time ago but not any more, thats someone elses job its unbearable & unhealthy..I had no choice but to use air freshner as even with the windows open -omg!

Don't get much time to come on here often but I try to when i can would seriously be very down with out our patient.co.uk site!smile 

• Posted

Hi Karen,

I would say anything that pollutes the air we breathe is not a good thing, any smoke etc.

I posted somewhere previously about candles, I don't think its a good idea for people with existing breathing problems to burn regularly but a good quality candle / tea light, smokless, non scented is something I use now and then, when I want a real flame.  Mostly I use the flameless candles and tea lights, they are great. razz

Regarding telling your friend and daughter not to do something, that's up to you.  

Of course it is any ones choice if they want to use air fresheners, josh sticks, scented candles etc I am just mentioning things that can interefere with air quality and for some it can affect breathing, cause a deterioration in symptoms.

• Posted

Afternoon Vee2! That's ok was just saying I'm glad you bought the subject up its very important that people know about the causes of air pollution within the home aswell, Thank you for your reply & help Thank you!
  • Posted

If anyone wants to check pollution levels in UK, check Defra, link below:

http://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/latest/currentlevels?region=15

just type in yor region in the search box

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.