UK Consultants HELP.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Good Morning,

After discussing with some people about the amazing Mr Flint, and the waiting times, I have to admit I cannot wait months and months to be seen and then possibly wait months for more tests and then a year for surgery if that is the port of call.

So since I can go have a private consultantion, I was wondering if anyone else has had any great experiences elsewhere? I need someone who takes smaller hernation but very symptomatic. I'm housebound and almost bedbound, I really need some help. 

I heard Liverpool was very good? Names? Or elsewhere?

Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated smile

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My experience of The Walton Centre in Liverpool has been superb. 

I had a tough time with my local neurologists for 6 years, my symptoms got progressively worse so I did my own research and found The Walton Centre. 

My new GP was happy to do my referral, including all MRI's I had from my local hospital. (This speeds things up)

My NS is fantastic as are his team, my post op care is fantastic, sadly, not what all patients on this forum have experienced from other hospitals.

i feel very fortunate to have had this care on the NHS, I couldn't have got better by going private.

The waiting time was not long.

We are so lucky in this country!

If you would like to pm me for any further advice or support please feel free. 

I can't remember if you previously mentioned you had something else diagnosed besides Chiari 0?

hope this has been of some help 🙂

• Posted

Hi , I can't remeber beside hayleybell who else went to WALTON  in liverpool, but I heard the neurological department here are excellent, there are a few there not just the one, I am sorry i could no be anymore help, I THINK Mr Aspel of Nottingham also good, I really can't remember, but i heard so many times that Walton is excellent!!
  • Posted

Hi I had surgery back in November 2013. It was done by Professor King at Salford Royal Hospital. I have seen him and many of his team and have found them all to be excellent. Whilst waiting for surgery I was offered a bed at a near by private hospital where I still would be a nhs patient. At the last minute an earlier appointment came through for Salford so I had my surgery there.

Turns out if I had gone to the private hospital, the same surgeon would have still done the surgery. Going private will hopefully speed things up for you in terms of waiting for scans etc so it mind ease your worrying a bit to go this faster route.

The neurosurgery team at Salford were surprisingly personable. I felt that they were very honest with me through each step of treatment and recovery. Professor King really made me feel that I was in good hands. I believe this is really important as mental state can affect recovery.

I have heard stories of people having issues after surgery (which is quite common) but they were unable to make any further contact with the surgeon. This is really not nice and very stressful so I can vouch for Salford again on that one. Not only was I able to contact his secretary with anything I wanted his opinion on, but he told me I can always contact him if necessary even after being discharged from neurosurgery.

I hope you find the info you need to give you some reassurance, if you want any more info about Salford Royal including contact details please ask. Take care and good luck

• Posted

Dear NIHILO, it great for you to post and share this good news, I wonder If i can utilise your experience to express this to my health care professional team so that they use this as an example in their own neurological department, they would be really grateful for that? thanks in advance
    • Posted

Hello,

I hope you are doing well? I've just been reffered to a surgeon at Salford Royal.. Your comments have reassured me, thank you. I have asked for a second referral to Walton, just because it's such a big decision!

Do you mind me asking when you had your surgery and how you are feeling now?

Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.