Uk health insurance

Posted , 7 users are following.

ive had AF for 5 years now but have not been seen by any medical professional or taken any medication for AF for 4 years (successful ablation in 2015 then signed off by consultant)

My understanding is that in the UK if you apply for private health insurance you do not have to declare anything medically if it was 5yrs ago or longer ?

am i right in thinking this and if so would it be best to be completely honest with the insurance company and mention the AF but stating that it was more than 5yrs ago so doesnt count ?

i really want insurance so that if i need another ablation in the future i wont have to wait on nhs or pay privately like i did last time but i dont want to pay all those premiums for them to turn me down when i need them

thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Surely any application form would detail the information needed.

I think that as they want to avoid paying claims that that you have detail everything even back to childhood illnesses.

• Posted

Hi Steve, I had an ablation on the NHS three years ago aged 68, which has been successful. I waited six months, choosing the NHS after seeing a cardiologist privately; fortunately I don't need another one at the moment.

I do however need world wide travel insurance, and my philosophy is simple, tell them everything, give them zero excuse for refusing to pay a claim, happily it has worked so far.

Out of interest, how much does one have to pay for an ablation done privately?

Best Regards

Sherpa Al

• Posted

i paid just over £10k - saw a consultant, decided to have the ablation and was in the hospital 4 weeks later, doc told me there was a 18 month to 2 year wait on nhs

• Posted

The Doctor that was selling you a treatment for £10k told you there was an 18 month waiting list or the NHS Cardiac team told you?

• Posted

Thanks Steve, I hadn't imagined it would be as much as that. Interestingly, do you not take an anti coagulant? Even post ablation I have taken Apixaban, but then I did have a stroke shortly after the AF diagnosis.

Regards

Sherpa Al

• Posted

i did take an anti coagulant for about 4 weeks after the ablation but ive taken nothing since then (sept 2016)

• Posted

correction - sept 2015

• Posted

Thanks for the info Steve, and good fortune for the future.

Regards

Sherpa Al

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.