UK NHS experience anyone?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am due to have my first (left) cataract done on Wednesday, and went for my pre-op assessment last week. Having read all the posts on here about all the different options, and having also done some online research about what is available on the NHS or privately (which would be an option for me) I went in with a lot of questions, but was given no time to ask them.

The nurse who did the measurements was extremely grumpy and didn't want to talk at all. At the time that didn't bother me as I wanted to talk to the consultant, but when I got to see her, it was very obvious that she wanted to "process" me as quickly as possible. She had a quick look at my eyes, asked which eye I wanted done first, told me what she would put in, which I didn't even catch beyond the word "distance" because she mumbled, then told me to sign the form and said goodbye. I did try asking about the option of multifocal lenses as she was ushering me towards the door, but she just said "I wouldn't even talk to you about that because of your glaucoma, anyway I wouldn't have them at any price" and that was the end of that.

I know I should have been more assertive, but I am not good at that sort of thing and I didn't want to make her cross. All she had to do was ask "have you got any questions?" but she didn't, and there is so much I wanted to know. Silly things like:

1. will the anaesthetic be delivered by injection or drops?
  2. do I have to change into a hospital gown or can I keep my clothes on?
  3. once the surgery is completed, how long is it until I can go home?
  4. Does the doctor or nurse check on me after an hour or whatever before saying I can leave?
  5. How do I manage in the period while I am waiting for the 2nd eye to be done, when my glasses won't be any good for the 1st eye, and how long is the wait likely to be?

Can anyone help?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You should not have to be assertive! The grumpy nurse and busy consultant have no business being in this field if they're not able to give 100% of their attention to their patient - I don't care what kind of hangover they might be dealing with that day!!IF you can, please cancel the surgery and get a second opinion. If this is not possible, please make sure you get your questions answered. Call the office the first moment you can and say "I have questions about my upcoming surgery" and then ask away. If necessary, talk to your surgeon. Do not get this operation done unless you are confident about your choice of lens and who is doing the surgery.

Your questions are all perfectly reasonable. I can give you my experience, but every hospital/clinic has different procedures. My experience went somewhat like this...

During pre-op I was asked to remove my clothes and put on one of those beautiful (ha!) hospital gowns (underwear and socks stayed on). Then I hopped onto the gurney (all done in private). A nurse came in and administered a variety of eye drops. Another nurse inserted an IV and hooked me up to a blood pressure and heart monitor machine. The surgeon, a resident, and anesthesiologist came in and introduced themselves, explained what was going to happen, confirmed I was who I said I was and marked my eye with a black marker (they don't want to do the wrong eye on the wrong patient ha!). Together they wheeled me into the operating room and administered a wonderful "twilight" drug. All I really remember is seeing a lot of water in my eye. That's about it. Next thing I knew it was over and I was in recovery with a big patch over my eye. During post-op the nurse checked my vitals, offered me some juice and covered me with a warm blanket. The surgeon came by about thirty minutes later to tell me all went well. The nurses monitored me until they determined I was good to go. I was also given printed post-op instructions (about the eye patch, drops, rest, emergency contacts, and follow-up visits, etc.). I'd say you should allow for four hours of time from start to finish. But it's a fairly quick procedure.

I believe they will want you to wait at least six weeks for the second operation. I only had one eye done and until I could get a new prescription for glasses, I wore a post it note over one of my lenses (it was weird looking but it helped). You will be thrilled with your new vision!

Please do your research about what lens you'd like done. Consider what you're used to. It's very important that you understand your surgeon's plan and opinion about your options. Good luck and keep us posted!

• Posted

Let me add, I also remember being asked to look at the flashing white light when the operation was going on. It was so quick though, I barely remember any of it. Also, I said four hours time just in case you have to wait around (if patients get backed up, etc.). Be sure you have someone to drive you home (you won't be able to drive yourself).

• Posted

hi I had the same experience. had both cataracts done at the renound Birmingham Eye Hospital. Had complications but they sorted it out very well. would have cost quite a lot if I had had to pay.

• Posted

I had this done on the NHS, in Oxford.

It is very simple and I was under a sheet for about all that time so you do not see what happens. I am sure it was local anaesthetic drops and is a simple procedure.

You are kept there for about an hour then leave, but do not drive. I had to wear a plastic shield over the eye to stop you touching the eye and to protect it at night. They should have answered questions and if I was you I would ask to see another consultant. Do not put up with lack of information as you are the customer!

You have more details above but good luck. You will be amazed when it is done.

• Posted

Hi Pat. I had my cataract on my left eye done 2 weeks ago on the NHS. I had my pre op assessment in December and at that time I was not aware there were different types of lens and it was never mentioned. My pre op assessment sounds very much the same as yours, a waiting room full of patients who were moved on and out as quickly as possible. I only found out aoubt the lens when I came on this site a couple of days before the op as I was so worried about it but neednt have been.

When i arrived at the clinic, i was given several eye drops to dilate the pupils I think, no one said what they were for.After about half an hour, the surgeon called me in to just check my eye, over in a second. half an hour later I was called in for the surgery. I kept my own clothes on, even my boots. I had to put a gown over my clothes and a "shower cap" on my head. I was then laid on a trolley and given eye numbing drops. This was followed immediately by an injection. I was then wheeled into theatre for the op. The op was simple, no pain at all and was over in 15 mins. All I could see during the procedure was a bright light and moving shadows. Half an hour later I was sent home with 2 different types of eye drops and a patch on my eye and a booklet of instructions. When I asked about when I would get the 2nd eye done they said I had to wait first for my follow up appointment in 4 to 6 weeks.

I hope it wont be too long as I struggle now with one good eye and one bad eye. My glasses are useless even though I have found and old pair and removed one of the lens.

Maybe on the NHS you dont have a choice of lens but I have to say I am very happy with the one I have had done.

I hope your op goes well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.