UK Nurofen Plus Addiction

Posted , 2 users are following.

Something 3 years ago I never thought I would be writing. I was prescribed 30/500 co-codamel for a leg injury in 2009. I was happily taking these up until 2016 when I thought I needed to calm down I went to the doctor and he immediately stopped the prescription and that was it, no more help. I had no idea the withdrawals would be so bad. I was awful for two days. I lied in bed sweating, bad legs etc. So, I started to Google where top buy codeine I couldn’t find anywhere, but then. I found Nurofen plus. I smartened my self up (as best I could) and made my way to the chemist.

The relief after was amazing. I slowly started to feel better. Little did I know it would continue for two years now. What started of at 16 pills a day later led to 64 a day. I am always in pain my stomach burns my kidneys kill. How am I still alive?

I had a word with myself and I am feeling good now, I first cut down to 32 a day for a week then 24 a day for a week. I am currently back to 16 a day for a further 4 days then will be down to 8 then 4 then I hope to be off them. The withdrawals have been there but not enough to keep me in bed. I can still work.

When I am completely clean I will get my bloods done see the damage and try to start recovering my body. I am only 28 and have previosuly been a gym fanatic so hope age and that is on my side.

Anyone who wants to share or talk about similar issues. Please feel free to reply.

Thank you

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Steven, well done to you for making this decision to move forward. I have been abusing codeine on  and off for a whopping twenty years, started when I was 19 and now 39. It started when at 19, my boyfriend was prescribed solpadol and then I made up an ongoing ear pain complaint and got my own script for it. I told my doctor at about 21 that I was addicted and came off it for a few years until I met my next partner who used OTC codeine products and I started taking them. I've been on N+ for about 10 years now and whilst I don't take anywhere near as many as you in a day (8-10) I do drink too much of an evening and I know the long term damage must be mounting up. But like you I am a gym goer, I have a good strong but slim build and I eat really well, drink smoothies every day etc but I guess that's how I justify the abuse. Also as I am slim the bloating from the ibuprofen makes me look pregnant in comparison to the rest of my body! I am on day 3 of coming off them and I feel like I have a stomach bug and mild flu mixed together. I feel quite faint a lot of the time too, have you had this? It's awkward as my partner keeps telling me not to over do it at the gym as he thinks I'm ill but I know it's probably the best thing for me although it doesn't feel like it when I come out. I haven't gone 100% cold turkey as I need to function for work and kids so I've just taken 1 in the morning and one in the afternoon but god I feel like hell and my stomach seems to hurt worse than when I was on ten! I need to do this though, for myself and my family. I've stopped drinking too and drinking caffeine in the day and switched to herbal teas and probiotic drinks, but I just wish I could skip to the part where I feel the benefits of quitting all these toxins as at the moment I feel worse than ever! I don't want to tell anyone I know I'm doing this. Guess I like them to think I am strong minded. Keep me posted and I will too, good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.