UK People - how long did it take for surgery to be scheduled after initial appointment?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone.

After suffering with an anal fissure since the age of 16 (now 23) I've finally decided it's time to opt for the surgery and end this nightmare! I had a consultation in 2013 but the surgeon was awful to me and just kept saying I was way too young to have the survey and I could be INCONTINENT... do I realise what that means?! INCONTINENT for life he kept repeating. Totally scared me off and I thought right I'll just have to live with it. Had a baby 6 months ago and chose to have a c section out of fear the fissure would get worse! It's totally ruling my life.

Anyway... I've got a consultant appointment tomorrow (well I'm hoping so after this NHS hacking business!!) and I'm sure he will advise surgery which I want asap. But I'm expecting it to be another couple of months down the line - am I right in thinking this? Or has anybody been scheduled in quite quickly after their initial appointment?

Thanks in advance!

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey! I'm 21 and suffering the same! I'm about to have my 5th surgery! All of mine have been within a week of my consultant appointment but that's either been because my wound has closed to fast or the infection was building up!

After failed surgeries I've since gone for a 2nd opinion! I've been told the same about incontience, I think the nature of the surgery they have to give you that information but always I'm aware that it could happen! I had my 4th surgery 6 weeks after my consultant appointment, and he's put me down as urgent for my next, I think it does genuinely depend on your individual case too smile hope that helps! X

• Posted

Hey thanks for your reply!

Sorry to hear you've had to have so many surgeries sad hope the next one is successful keeping my fingers crossed for you!

X

• Posted

Hi There,

​Sorry you are going through the awful pain that we all suffer with our Anal Fissures.

​Have you read my feedback on here if so i hope it was of some help.

​Clive ( UK BIRMINGHAM )

• Posted

Sooo update after having my appointment today. She said there's no way they'd ever operate because even if I didn't have any incontinence problems now I definitely would when I'm 60+ as the muscle gets looser then anyway! So Botox would be my only option. But she took a look and said she's actually confident it could heal on its own as long as I improve my diet, sit on hot water bottle 3 times a day and try GTN ointment again - apparently i wasn't using enough to allow healing - probably because of the horrible side effects. So feeling SLIGHTLY hopeful that she thinks it can heal and that I wasn't using GTN effectively. But I will admit I gave up trying with the fibre etc because it wasn't making a difference. Will have to give it a really good shot and in 8 weeks if no difference I'll be getting the botox.

Guess I'll be trawling through forums looking for good self help tips now!!

• Posted

I also suffered from an anal fissure for almost 2 years and it had taken over my life because of how painful it was. After trying many recommendations and medicines I finally cured myself without relapses. What worked for me was the following: do meditation daily, replace the typical cardio routine for yin yoga, consume fiber supplements twice a day, use a  toilet stool so that the legs are above the hips to reduce the pressure in the anus when going to the bathroom, apply organic coconut oil in the area after taking a shower. If you are in a lot of pain you can take ibuprofen tablets and also avoid sitting for a long time. Another important aspect is to eat as healthy as possible, avoiding fast foods and using mostly organic products. Prayer certainly helps keep the faith, so ask God and the Archangel Raphael to help you heal as quickly as possible. Leave behind any resentment, hatred, feelings of guilt or shame and forgive the past, this will help increase the body's ability to heal. I hope you get well soon!

• Posted

Here are some suggestions I have for you to help you through:

1. Try somee zinc oxide in the form of calmoseptine which has menthol to soothe the area down there as well. Calmoseptine can be bought at almost any local drugstore and can be bought online too.

2. Try squatting when going on the toilet instead of sitting. This is a much  helathier position and the poop sometimes will just slide out,  no pushing or straining involved.

3. I would definately take a fiber supplement, specifically metamucil  is what I take evveryday,  in ordr to allow your stools to be soft and to allow them to pass thorugh easily. THis being said, with any fiber supplemetn, you must drink lots of water when using them, or they will not work veffectively. Also, do not take too much as too much fiber can irritate your bowels on the way  out and diarreah actually does worse down there.

4. I would recommend getting a sphicteronomy surgery if htings dont get better. I waited it out, gave up, had the surgery, and was able to heal within about two weeks. I had a chronic fissure, so I knew where you are ocming from with v all the pain and discomfort.

Hope this helps!!!

Best,

Myles

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.