Uk v other countries treatment

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm so interested between posts saying my gyno says this or that and you seem to visit the same one with us in the uk I'm finding it a hit or miss to who I see when or if anyone available to see me ? Any input please ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Not sure I understand the question. I'm in the US. We have one doctor we see. When we make an appt, it's for our doctor. Some are in groups, however, so if you need an appt quick and your doctor has no available appointments, you can see one in the group. But normally, we just see the same doctor every time. If i need a regular checkup, I have to make an appt months in advance. But I'm in a very well known group and hospital. But if I need to be seen quickly, i can get in within a day.
  • Posted

As a follow up to what I just posted, we do have a lot of people who dont have insurance. Refular doctors offices dont take them so they have additional problems being seen somewhere.
  • Posted

Hi - I'm In the UK too but have lived in the US, so I have some experience of a couple of systems. 

In my experience it comes down to paying versus state funded. When you pay there is definately a better continuity of care - not necessarily better care though.

Im not one for complaining about the NHS (think it does a great job in difficult circumstances) but invariably you are allocated to one Consultant but generally see one of their team. You might see the Consultant initially but then unless there is a specific issue you just see one of the team (and not the same one) each time.

I pay and as a result I see my Gynae Consultant for every appointment - he knows me, my history & I trust him. I'm recovering from major gynae surgery at the moment & I think I have struggled trusting someone I didn't know with invasive surgery. 

Its an expensive way to do it though - and appreciate that I'm fortunate it's an option to me & isn't an option all have. Xx

• Posted

Thank you I like the thought of seeing the same doctor as they know you and can follow things thru. So in the US do you pay a monthly plan like going private over here?
    • Posted

My gyn is the same one that delivered both of my children 24 and 21 years ago! Yes, we pay for our insurance. Many employers provide it at low costs to employees but for some, it can be quite expensive. New laws are making it mandatory that employers provide it. That's not well received by a lot of people. You can pay for insurance on your own too but again, very expensive. Still better than not having it though in my opinion because then it can cost a fortune to see a doctor or be hospitalized. It's a mess the US is trying to figure out and is controversial. Most things are these days.
  • Posted

In the US we had monthly insurance but I assume you can pay as you go. Pretty similar to the UK options for private care - of insurance, pay as you go, or I think some offer fixed price surgery too.

i completely agree about the benefits of continuity of care and availability too. ( I can talk to my Gynae when I need to - not wait for an appointment).  

I was able to do some research and then choose who I wanted to see. Women's Health is often pretty invasive isn't it - it's definately helped having someone I trust throughout. 

• Posted

I wish I had opted for private care insurance when I was younger I've had nhs treatment at private hospitals and done much better than friends in nhs hospitals now I've got surgery coming up I'm really worried about my care I'll receive sad my mum has spent many months in hospital and tbh I wasn't very impressed unfortunately 😭
  • Posted

It's always a difficulty getting insurance after you know there is an issue that needs sorting isn't it.

I do think NHS care can be good too though.  I had an emergency admission to my local NHS Women's Health unit earlier this year and had no complaints about the care I received - the facilities and food were not good but the nursing & clinical care was. I didn't bother transferring to my Gynae as I thought it would only be an overnight stay.

Whilst i pay for "Women's Health" care I elect to use NHS for Dermatology - have always had great care (and see the same Consultant Dermatologist each time too).

I hope you get good care. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.