UK Waiting list for NHS TKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

If you have had a TKR this year please can you tell me how long the waiting list is to see a the NHS consultant for a TKR in your area? I had my first TKR in 2015 and was able use choose to book on NHS.

Wondered if any of your doctors have given you access to the NHS e-referral service so you can book your own appointment in hospital with shortest waiting list?

My local hospital is currently first outpatient appointment is about 50 days and then another 26 weeks to get the operation done. If i can use the NHS e-referral service I can cut this by half, so can anyone give me advise.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I'm not sure that option still exists, it has become difficult to jump up the queue now as the demand has increased and many hip/knee replacements are being requested, your best bet is to ask your GP about funding in another area, are you unable to walk at the moment.

• Posted

Thank you for your kind reply, i am able to walk short distances but pain is unbearable without taking constant pain killers. I will get back in touch with My doctor.
  • Posted

Hi there. I work at as admissions co-ordinator at a private hospital who is also an NHS treatment center so I know all about the choose and book system. Recently, all the guidelines changed and it is not so simple in certain areas. I live in an area where it is NOT so simple anymore, our patients have had to have gone through MCAS to access mobility, pain and how much your ailment affects your daily life. Then, you can get referred to your choice of hospital as previous and see your chosen consultant who will book you in and then, wait for it !! We still have to send off to our local CCG for prior approval. In our area (South Sefton) MCAS can take 2 to 3 months but once out the other side it is relatively quick to get your appointment and then looking at (where I work ) a date for theatre in approx 8 - 10 weeks. This is all time consuming and thoroughly frustrating for patients. It all depends on where you live. Ask away if you need any more help/Info.Sue
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, it was most helpful. I am in Kent and my docotr has written to local hospital for an appointment. However the surgeon who carried out my 1st knee replacement has already agreed on viewing my knee xrays in 2015 that my right knee was actually in a worse condition than the left knee which he replaced in December 2015. The reason he did my left knee first was because at the time my left knee was causing me more problems, my right knee now keeps locking out and can’t walk very far without acute pain.  Can you shed any light on Kent area for me as the hospital I had the first TKR done is a private hospital which carries out NHS operations if I am referred there.
    • Posted

In our area (I must correct my CCG is Southport and Formby not South Sefton) if you were listed bilaterally, then you should be should be able to see the same surgeon for your 2nd knee. We have calls all the time from patients who have had one knee done already and we check the original referral letter and if it refers both we would use that again, also, there will be letters typed after each of your visits , including your admission that should mention why he chose to do your left knee 1st which will also put you in a good position. So, if I was you, I would ring where you had your 1st knee done and speak to them. Hope this all helps, takes ages typing on a Kindle. ! Sue
  • Posted

I had a TKR this June all together from seeing my GP I waited about 2 months it was very quick as I also said if anyone cancelled I would be willing to go in and that's what happened they had a cancellation so I took it. 

• Posted

Hi Carol,

Can I ask what area you live, that is very speedy, were you still able to get out and about beforehand or virtually housebound?

• Posted

Hi x

i live in the Stockport Area and I rarely went out as I couldn't walk far as I'm in continuous pain as my knees were bone on bone I'm still in pain with the left one which I'm hoping to get done next year, I don't have pain in my right knee only problem is it's still numb and tingles I don't go out much now either as I have got very bad depression.

• Posted

That is really tough for you having two problems, lets hope having the 2nd TKR will help ease the depression in time, maybe a friend can help you venture out once you are fit again they always say plenty of fresh air helps lift the spirits so maybe it will help a little with depression? Good luck for the future smile
  • Posted

Hi. Just wondered if you considered my options given in my reply as I can't see anything on this discussion, however that said I am a learner. !!!!

• Posted

Hi Sue light person did respond to u, if you scroll up you will see it.

Take care

• Posted

My reply is just below your first post, thanks for encouragement smile
    • Posted

Hi there. I replied to your reply to me , and just wondered what you thought of my advice in ringing the hospital directly. Sue
    • Posted

I spent yesterday compiling a detailed letter to my doctor sending proof or bilateral agreement from the private hospital before I had my NHS TKR in 2015 and enclosed copies of letters and requested a letter from Dr to the consultant who carried out my first TKR if she would not authorise me booking an appointment straight onto the system, once I get this I will email membership services at the hospital and see if they will authorise it as I pay in monthly to this hospital, it is not a full membership so can actually have it done privately it will still have to be NHS funded. Will let you know what transpires
    • Posted

Let me know how you get on. Don't like using the expression but it us a post code lottery. Sue

• Posted

Yeah will do, the doctors receptionist phoned me today to get verification from me that I wanted to book an appointment on to the NHS system for the private hospital, I obviously said yes, so I will have to wait and see if a letter is printed off for me with details so I can log on to the system and book an appointment or if its a doctors letter written to the consultant  at the hospital. I should hear by Friday I hope. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
    • Posted

Phoned the private hospital  and no joy from the them as my private membership only gives me diagnosis and as I had already had bilateral diagnosed so unless my doctor relents and let gives me authorisation to book onto the NHS system and select the hospital myself then I am going to have to wait, looks like 7 - 8 months still hoping she might give in.... doubtful of course but will update soon as I know either way.
    • Posted

OMG excellent new I have an appointment to see the consultant on 13th October at the private hospital, thanks for the advice perseverance in this case paid off, fingers crossed I can get this one by xmas/new year.
    • Posted

That is fantastic news, hopefully, once you have your foot (in this case knee) in the door things will move on quickly. Good luck. Sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.