UK waiting times for abdominal hysterectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

After trying various options with no success I was added to the waiting list for abdominal hysterectomy on 3rd August, breach date of 6th December. I  rang waiting list at the end of November as I hadn’t heard anything & was told that the hospital was breaching & I would be done at the end of January. I rang PALS who checked my details & confirmed this. Didn’t get a date by beginning of January so rang again & was told due to winter pressures I would now be done the end of February.

I rang again today as still not heard anything & have now been told the gynaecology Ward is presently being used as a medical ward & will be until Easter so my new date is unlikely to come through until the summer which will be almost a year of waiting, I have had a couple of episodes of absence from work during the time I have been waiting due to heavy bleeding & have bladder problems frequently needing the toilet. Is anybody else in the same situation of prolonged waiting or have any solutions. I would appreciate any input.

Thank you 

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I understand how you feel, as i was in the same boat. At one point my pain was unbearable and had it done through Bupa privately . I am so glad i dont have to go through pain every month !! 

Best of luck to you xx

• Posted

Hi Dee, 

Thanks for your reply. I am considering paying privately if I don’t get a concrete date soon but don’t have insurance so it would mean getting out a bank loan to finance this, I work for the NHS & have done for years but just shows no perks involved!! ;-)

Sarah 

• Posted

That sucks for you but sounds pretty normal to me for any country with a stretched public health system. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.