UKR and Si Joint issues

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys and gals,

I had a UKR (Partial right knee replacement) on 6 Nov. Sent home on 9 Nov and progressed into rehab which has been fine ( but really demanding) and yesterday saw my Orthopaedic Consultant. He’s happy, more exercises for quite some time into the future; no crutches around the house, 1 crutch (as required) for up to 2 weeks maximum, can drive my car immediately I’ve done an emergency stop and back to work driving a bus at end of January.

Prior to UKR surgery and going back for several years I’ve had a right Sacriilliac  (Si) Joint problem usually managed successfully by Osteopathy to the point that right up until surgery I’ve been free of pain/discomfort. However, in the last 10 days the Si joint pain has returned. I am sure this has returned as a result of a number of things; 1) many of the rehab exercises and stretches which have aggravated the si joint, 2) walking for 7 weeks with crutches, bad sleeping position as a result of surgery and now walking solo with a slight limp. The offending exercises/stretches have been discontinued and the only ones I maintain now with agreement of consultant are flexion and extension exercises for the new joint.

After new year I shall return to Osteo for manipulation but meanwhile I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or similar and how you dealt with it.

John

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

My two replacements were total knee replacements about four months apart. I'm not sure if recovery issues are the same for Total and partial replacements. Assuming they ARE similar I would say that you are experiencing much of the same things as everyone endures with knee surgery. Exercises that help one issue (in your case PKR) CAN aggravate another issue. The "inchworm" exercises I was doing in Physical Therapy (moving side-by-side along the floor with an elastic band on the ankles) REALLY aggravated my sciatic nerve AND both hip joints. It was only after sucking it up and just DOING THEM that the muscles got stronger and took over the job they needed to so I could walk better. Over the years prior to surgery my muscles hadn't been used in the proper way due to my inactivity caused by sheer PAIN! YOU may be experiencing this, too.

Sleeping is a whole other issue! For YEARS I had pain all night long and could count only SECONDS without pain. Following surgery I had new and different pain which went away gradually over the weeks. Nine weeks was when I could FINALLY sleep on my left side to eliminate sciatic nerve pain and FINALLY I was actually sleeping four then six hours PAIN-FREE!

The whole surgery thing brings with it new troubles, but then the troubles start to lessen. Building overall strength and practicing balance helps A LOT. I have found that I must have patience with my body. Some days will be achy, and on those days I rest. Other days are MUCH BETTER, and I enjoy them and can do many more things without pain. I try to document in my journal the progress I make based on things I can do once again that I hadn't been able to do in years. Six months out from my first surgery, two months from my second I am beginning to feel normal again. Not every day is a stellar day, but there are many more good days than before.

You are still quite early in the game, so be patient. You will get there!

• Posted

Hiya Cheryl,

Thanks for your response. Must say at the time of posting my mind was starting to drift along the lines you have discussed. Actually, the more I think about it and what both you and Sue said I can see what you are both saying. The cause of all this was a torn right knee cartilage and the accompanying keyhole surgery some 15 years  ago. Since then everything has deteriorated to the point where 2 years ago it affected my gait and I was prescribed orthotics for my shoes to help my gait. So yes, I can see what you are saying about way of walking and muscle use etc. I'll be patient and look forward to future rewards !

Must say I'm just a bit surprised to be where I am  at 7 and half weeks. Thanks again.

John

• Posted

You are very welcome! I have gained SO MUCH from this site and have been helped by so many people who have gone through the experience. It is nice to be able to help others now, too.

You will be fine! Keep in touch, OK?

• Posted

Hiya Cheryl,

As I said to Sue just now, its nice to read all these posts in response to my original as a story. Individual comments mean so much BUT, reading it as a story means that much more and helps me get my brain around it all.

Happy New Year to you, and may the force be with you in 2016

John

• Posted

I know what you mean about it taking time to sort things out and really beginning to understand what is happening! It is all pretty complex, and there are physical and mental AND emotional aspects that need to be attended to with each recovery. Having so many people from all over the world working on understanding the process and a great site such as this to discuss concerns and tips for recovery really is a VERY HELPFUL combination!

There is great power in numbers!

I am glad every day that I found this site and all the wonderful people who truly understand. Priceless!

• Posted

Use a cane, until you are pain free.  Try not to go for manipulation.  All they will do is knock you out and bend your knee.  They would have done this the first time round. Your knee would have stood up to everything they did. All you will accomplish is add to your pain!  A lot of the different pains you are experiencing are down to you now walking in a different manner. You are using muscles that have been dormant for a while. Also the way you NOW  walk is different than before.  Concentrate on how you are walking, deliberately take notice how you now put one foot in front of the other and alter accordingly.  If you make it a mental as well as a physical exercise you will better understand what is happening.  As the various muscles start working properly and settle down, your quality of sleep will improve. Use the cane (it should be on the same side as your bad leg and bring it forward at the same time as your good leg, not the other way round).  You will get there, take note of what Cheryl190571 has written and before long you will be feeling like a spring chicken
    • Posted

I have to say that my surgeon and I know others are told the same, cane on opposite leg, not the Same side as bad leg.

i agree with thinking about how you are walking, as this was definitely part of my problem.

I had to have manipulation and it was the best thing I ever did, definitely worked for me as I just never got thè bend required to make life bearable.  My leg now works properly, still got long way to go but I now know I will get there.

liz

• Posted

Many thanks Sue,

Thankfully my 'new knee' is pain free - it is just the old 'issues' that seem to be stirred up and I can well understand what you say about the 'new' way of walking and the way my muscles are responding. I'll try what you say about a mental and physical exercise. Many thanks.

John

• Posted

Sue,

I forgot to say I didn't mean surgical manipulation of knee but manipulation of Si joint by osteopath.

John

• Posted

ah ha...still not nice (I googled).  Good luck with your manipulation and future recovery. Until everything has settled down and you are walking properly, take it easy, push, but don't be impatient. Happy New Year to you.
    • Posted

Aren't we all bad at trying to do too much.  Not a good time of year to take it easy.  I know not to do too much, but invariably I end up walking too far at the shops etc.

I honestly think, like you said, that we have to pay attention to how we are walking, try and remember that we don't need to walk with a limo and as Roland said take a good stride, heel down first, then ball of foot.  When I think about it, it is so much easier.

Have A Guid New Year and let's hope we can all look back on this and say thank goodness I had my knee done.

liz xx

• Posted

Yup we are all in the same boat, in some way or other.  I will always be in pain, but at least I know they wont give way, so long as I don't walk far or carry that extra bag at the store!!!  Why do we keep doing things like that, is it a woman thing?? Wishing you back a very Good New Year and a decent summer

Sue xxx

• Posted

Thanks Sue,

Happy New Year to you. Must say, while each post on this topic is interesting taken on its own, its even better to read ALL the posts and treat them like a story this is especially true in this case. It has enabled me to get a much better grip on the issues that I raised in my original post.

May the force be with you in 2016   biggrin

• Posted

You are most welcome, forums are the best way to get multi sides to an issue or problem.

Keep smiling

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.