Ulcer Healing Taking a Long Time. Should I Worry?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with a probably ulcer (maybe multiple) back in mid-May. I was put on 20 mg of omeprazole twice a day, which did a lot to curb the pretty severe pain. I had to go to a strictly bland food diet - rice, potatoes, grits, pasta, water. Over time I started adding some more foods back in, but still completely avoid caffeine, alcohol, citrus, tomatoes, and pepper of any kind. However recently I've been having some breakthrough pain even with the PPI. Should I be worried about this? Everything I've read online says ulcers should take 3 months to heal and it's been about that long, so getting worse concerns me. Any thoughts or advice welcome. It's been doing my head in to not have the food I enjoy and I'd just really like to get back to normal if possible.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Left untreated, many ulcers eventually heal. But ulcers often recur if the cause of the ulcer is not eliminated or treated. If ulcers keep coming back, you have an increased risk of developing a serious complication, such as bleeding or a hole in the wall of your stomach or intestine

• Posted

Potatoes and pasta have high amounts of natural salts in them. Rinse your potatoes and pasta.

• Posted

Hi there,

Are you doing any better?

I also had symptoms of an ulcer start up about 6-8 weeks ago and initially PPI medication seemed to help. It then seemed to stop working as the pain returned and hasn't gone since.

I'm now trying cabbage juice and not sure if it's making a difference yet but really want this burning to stop.

Have they done an endoscopy to diagnose your ulcer?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.