Ulcer - Medication advice needed please

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all - I am so confused, hoping for help! I have had an ulcer brough on by ibuprofen for the last 3 weeks. I started taking nexium 2 weeks ago and after a few days it seemed to start helping; went to the doctor and got prescribed omaprezole as she said its the same thing. So last week I have been on them instead. She also said to take zantac at the same time, which I haven't yet. My issue is that since swapping tablets I feel worse, the symptoms that were decreasing on nexium are getting worse again and on top of that I am seriously bloated, full of gas, exhausted, and even seem to have some memory issues going on. I've been trying to research what to do and stumbled accross all sorts of accounts of omaprezole causing issues so I am going to stop them. While looking I found more accounts of nexium and zantac being really bad for us too! I'm tempted to just go back to nexium and only 1 tablet a day for a little bit, or stop all of it but I am so worried about the side effects....has anyone else had similar experiences with these tablets? I havent been able to eat anything but plain mash or meal replacement shakes for the last 3 weeks and on omaprezole I am struggling to even manage the shakes it leaves me so uncomfortable.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Helen I've had several ulcers over the years and nexium is the best,the most expensive and also the strongest. Your doctor has given you the cheaper option. Also ranitidine is safe. Take 2 x150mg before bedtime. Also their is medicine called sucralafate. I was given this in hospital and it really is a wonder drug. It coats the stomach with a chalk Like substance. This is also expensive, but it's much better than the alternative of constant pain. Have you have an endoscope? It's the worst experience ever. I've had 6 at last count, wouldnt wish it in anyone. Please talk to your doctor about esomeprazole(nexium) and sucralafate

• Posted

Thank you for the advice, I will go back on nexium tomorrow instead of the cheaper stuff. I'll try that for a bit before adding in the ranitidine I think as I have read about the side effects and I am so tired of side effects right now! The doc wouldn't let me have anything else, she said if I still cant eat 6 weeks from now go back....think I will be skin and bones by then. No didnt have the pleasure of the endoscope yet; sounds like a true horror and one I wish to avoid if possible. I'll see if I am able to get another doctors app with a different doc I think; this one was telling me to drink milk and eat ice cream; they create acid so I think i will give that a miss! Thank you again and good luck with your struggles.

• Posted

Yes, milk is definitely not a good idea. Hopefully you won't have the pleasure of an endoscope. If you have to then ask for another doctor. Most medicines have side effects,thats the unfortunate side of medicine.I would also avoid NSAID from now on. Naproxen, ibruproden and even aspirin. Take care.

• Posted

Hey Gordon I think I have multiple ulcers and started taking Zantac 150 twice a day do you if you can take more than that? Also did you notice any sensations as your ulcers were healing and did your endoscopies show that the ulcers had healed?
    • Posted

I'm suffering ! Trying everything at the moment .. I'm having sharp pain on my back behind my left rib cage, when its aggravated I sweat, really bad acid reflux too. I'm struggling to get it under control - I'm looking for good stomach / duodenal ulcer recovery stories if there's any out there!

• Posted

Hey well mine was awful, couldn't eat for a month and such pain at the start. Nexium helped for a couple of weeks and then I the nhs version made me worse so I stopped and did nexium for a few days. After that I quit them cold turkey! Had a bit of reflux and still get a few symptoms like pain if I eat tomato based food etc; however so much better. It's probably around 2 months now since I started, mine was ibuprofen related. Felt like I would never get over it. Hope that helps!

• Posted

Sounds awful !! ..

I tried to go cold turkey on omeprazole fand I lasted 2 weeks .. The acid reflux got really bad with the acid backing up into my throat !! So I'm back on it now.

I'm a bit like you in that I'm just thinking 'will this ever end?'

All I'm getting told is 'it will go eventually' I just feel like I need a proper plan,

Do you think just hardly eating anything for 2 months is a good way for it to heal?? How did you know it had gone?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.